Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.  (Read 11699 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« on: May 03, 2012, 02:29:26 am »

I guess this doesn't need a whole new topic but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try to start a discussion on paintings and sculptures and such. I thought we had one but couldn't find it.

Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' goes for $119.9 million at Sotheby's

That's a lot of money for some paint on a piece of cardboard.

What painters and sculptors and such do you all like?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:40:28 am »

For a little while I knew some stuff about art. Now I have mostly forgotten it. At art museums I am normally more interested in the non-western stuff. Other than east asian art, which I dislike. I really like masks and things like that. My professor was trying to show us how these pieces were totally out of context and presented as "art" in the western sense rather than culturally significant objects blah blah blah... frankly the stuff is just cool looking.

I also really like artists where I can see their thought process. I have a hardcore weakness for people who are really obsessive about one thing, like Mondrian. You can look at his output over the years and see how he moved towards the color block stuff. I really enjoyed the Museum of Visionary Art in Baltimore.
This is also part of why I am so fascinated with Dwarf Fortress.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:59 am »

I still haven't been to the goddam museum of visionary art. Something needs to be done about this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:57:33 am »

I'm partial to artcars.  Here's one of my favorite artcar artist.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:05:37 am »

My 10 year old daughter is brilliant.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:06:39 am »

I still haven't been to the goddam museum of visionary art. Something needs to be done about this.

You really should. They're always rotating in new exhibitions and they do a fantastic job picking some really interesting stuff. A lot of the people I knew who went to MICA (a big art school downtown) weren't fans because they hated outsider art though I loved it. Afterwards drive up to Mt Vernon and eat at The Helmand, one of the best restaurants in Baltimore.


One of my favorite sculptures is Big Man at the Hirshhorn in DC.


The sculptor started out as a model-maker and puppeteer on Labyrinth and then moved on to make these really interesting hyper-realistic sculptures. I just really love the way he subtly plays with the proportions of the subjects to create a real sense of unease when looking at them.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 12:45:01 pm »

I'm partial to artcars.

And I still haven't been to the museum to see that artcar Beetle.

I've seen that big man though. He is really cool.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:22 pm »

I don't make it out to art galleries nearly as often as I'd like. We have many of them here in DC. I am quite partial to the work of Claes Oldenburg, who makes awesome big-ass sculptures. Robert Rauschenberg, Jasper Johns, Alexander Calder, they're all good too. Mark Rothko, however, that guy sucks.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »

And I still haven't been to the museum to see that artcar Beetle.

I've seen that big man though. He is really cool.

When I went to the Visionary Arts museum they had an art car out front. Well, it didn't run, so it was an art car*

Saturday I'm going to MoMA for the 2nd time.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:42:19 pm »

I am quite partial to the work of Claes Oldenburg, who makes awesome big-ass sculptures.

I recently visited the Spoonbridge + Cherry.

Mark Rothko, however, that guy sucks.

What? No! Fuck that shit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 04:48:50 pm »

Mr Trout, I really like Ron Mueck too, and at least one of his sculptures is coming to my local gallery this summer and I'm looking forward to checking it out as I've only see photographs of his stuff up until now.

As for other artists, I read the dense biography Van Gogh: The Life, which really enriched my understanding of his life and work.  There are a lot of false ideas about Van Gogh out there - from how and why he cut off his ear to whether he committed suicide or not.  

I find Mark Ryden's work fascinating.

As I wrote about in my long-defunct blog, I have a warm place in my heart for Two-Six a collective of local artists who throw up block graffiti, the collective includes my favorite local graffiti artist Slomo who tosses up all sorts of great stuff all over the city.

I'm also a fan of the Royal Art Lodge.  Their paintings are predominantly small, highly detailed works.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 05:34:48 pm »

Am I remembering incorrectly that Munch did multiple "Scream"s?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 05:42:22 pm »

If you are, so am I, fwiw.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »

Am I remembering incorrectly that Munch did multiple "Scream"s?

Everytime you stepped on his toe.

He had gout.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »

You remember correctly.  There are definitly multiple versions, and if I recell correctly, more than one of them has been stolen at different times.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up