Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence  (Read 5520 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« on: May 08, 2012, 01:21:57 pm »

Maurice Sendak has died.

(I stole that thread title from John Scalzi's Twitter.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

Be sure to watch the Sendak interview with Colbert. It's fan-freaking-tastic.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:11:25 pm »

Lots of GenX icons passing away at the moment.  Hmm.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »

There is a political cartoonist/blogger I follow who always gets bent when famous people die, because the same dumb-ass editorial page cartoons are trotted out.
So in this case, will we see more Sad Wild Things, or St. Peter saying "Let the Wild Rumpus start!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:33:11 am »

I didn't kill him.

A former mayor of Wasilla died as well (no, not that one).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:00 pm »

Be sure to watch the Sendak interview with Colbert. It's fan-freaking-tastic.

I couldn't agree more.  I told my husband that Colbert and Sendak could become a comedy duo and tour the world. 

Gosh, I've read "Where the Wild Things Are" to so many children over the years, and I have my own childhood copy on my shelf too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:39 pm »

when I tell my friends I was not read this book as a kid, they react as if I were saying "I don't like the Beatles" or "my parents don't believe in vegetables."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:33 pm »

This book was also not a part of my childhood at all. I read it for the first time a few years ago, to find out what all the fuss was about.

I appreciate that Sendak had a huge impact on a lot of people, and I am sorry that he is gone, but I don't feel as personally grieved as I did when Seuss took the great Hoober Bloob Highway to the sky.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 12:33:05 am »

I never heard of it until the movie came out. I've also never read any Shel Silverstein, Superfudge, or A Wrinkle in Time.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:35 am »

I never heard of it until the movie came out. I've also never read any Shel Silverstein, Superfudge, or A Wrinkle in Time.

I don't know what superfudge is and I can't remember if I ever read Wrinkle, but dude you are missing out if you haven't rectified that first deal.

Has anyone not read Little Prince? I just saw something that said it was the most translated work after the bible (I think that was the factoid - might have been most printed). (Just checked - most translated French book.) I read the shit out of that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:11:22 am »

I don't know if anyone read Wild Things to me as a child. I know the copy I have now is one I bought myself. So you can rectify these sad omissions, you know.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:16:40 am »

I was a Velveteen Rabbit kid, and I make no apologies.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 01:52:30 am »

My parents still have my childhood copy. I remember loving it. The Wild Things were so vivid to me. And I still like to read it now and again.

The movie wasn't bad, but it came nowhere near the beauty and magic of the book. My mom insisted that I see it with her because she remembers how much I loved it. That was kind of sweet.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 03:07:42 am »

Has anyone not read Little Prince? I just saw something that said it was the most translated work after the bible (I think that was the factoid - might have been most printed). (Just checked - most translated French book.) I read the shit out of that.

We read that in 4th grade, I think. I own a storytelling game called Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple that takes place in a very Little-Prince-esque world.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Wild Rumpus now pauses for a moment of silence
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:01:07 am »

I was a Velveteen Rabbit kid, and I make no apologies.

Oh man, I loved that. Some pretty heavy shit too. I remember being terrified by scarlet fever though not totally understanding what it was. And also that it deeply saddened me.

I don't think I had ever made the connection until tonight, but thinking about the Velveteen Rabbit reminded me of Toy Story 3. I googled around a bit to see what others may have said about it, and ran into this post on a message board for hoarders or maybe just really messy people. Kind of interesting and sad.

Quote from: Some hoarder in recovery
I watched Toy Story 3 yesterday with my son. I felt pretty pretty strange watching it. It was disconcerting to see a story about how these toys have lives and feel loyalty, and are deeply hurt when they are thrown out. It was kind of like getting a hoarder guilt trip in animated form. Has anyone else had this reaction to this movie?

I remember reading the Velveteen Rabbit when I was younger, and I feel like it affected me deeply. Like it reinforced my tendencies to keep worn and broken toys regardless of how much I used them.

Seeing it through the recovery lens, I realize it encourages empathy with inanimate objects by anthropomorphizing them.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up