Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Band names  (Read 4206 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Band names
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »

For what it's worth (and since the Shelby thread died on the vine) I'm going to set this off into the wild and see what happens. No real reason for this other than it doesn't quite fit into "what are you listening to".

Everybody likes that joke about "new band name". Anyway, here are four band names from actual bands I heard play that might fit that bill.

Underwear(were?)wolves
Glamchowdah
Placentapede
Trojan Hearse

That's gotta be close to the ultimate in not selling out. It doesn't matter how good your band is, if you have one of those names they will never be successful.

(Also, when I was in elementary school I made my first "new band name" joke and a substitute teacher overheard it. I am not sure why the name appealed to me, but I suggested "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit" as the ultimate metal band name. I felt very relieved that the sub laughed and did not immediately have me expelled.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:14 pm »

The only joke name I can still recall is Boob Sweat & Taint Stank
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band names
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 08:26:12 pm »

We can tour together.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Band names
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:03 pm »

i may have mentioned these before, but they exist:

mario speedwagon
tony danza tapdance extravaganza
ted dancin'

also, i was bitterly disappointed to know that there is already a band named "dickwolf"(like the producer of all the law/order shows...).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band names
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »

I thought that one band was Ted Dancin' Machine.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Band names
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:19 pm »

A friend is naming his rap side-act "Filth Collins" on my recommendation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band names
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 12:36:22 am »

That's gotta be close to the ultimate in not selling out. It doesn't matter how good your band is, if you have one of those names they will never be successful.

My bad, Pearl Jam is the exception that proves the rule. That is a pretty har-har-har name.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 02:08:58 am »

(Also, when I was in elementary school I made my first "new band name" joke and a substitute teacher overheard it. I am not sure why the name appealed to me, but I suggested "Anal Sweat and Goat Vomit" as the ultimate metal band name. I felt very relieved that the sub laughed and did not immediately have me expelled.)

I think my life would have been very different if I'd gone to grade school with Nabu or someone like him.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:41 am »

There is a band named Police Academy 6 that is not terrible. Remembering that always makes me smile.

I've always thought The fuck*ng Champs was a great band name.

Rapeman the band (whose one album Two Nuns and a Pack Mule was a name taken from an actual porn mag) led me to The Rapeman comic which led me to the animated rapeman. Apparently there is also a live-action series and several video games.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:09 am »

Bands I have known personally, or close enough;

Leonidas Rex
Puberty Blues
And another one I can't remember just now but the name was based on their logo lookin kind of like a mantis head until you realised that the eyes were comedically large boobs and the jaws were her legs spreading. That band was basically as good as it sounds. Edit: They were, of course 'Funky mantis'. Commemorated in their first single 'We are Funky Mantis'

High school potential band name 'Glass Couch'
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:25:25 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

I was always partial to "V.aginal Goat" and "Nocturnal Emissions".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:51:37 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

"Nocturnal Emissions".

That would be the best band name ever if they did nothing but Chopin covers.

Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »

That would be the best band name ever if they did nothing but Chopin covers.



How is it that VW doesn't have 40 cans for every post she makes?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band names
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:11 am »

I blame nefarious can thieves.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Band names
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:04:03 pm »

Let's get the RAPES started.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up