Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rum! Fuck!  (Read 11365 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

I am not much of a fan of rum.  I'm not sure why, but I consider it "kid's stuff," especially that Sailor Jerry's stuff, which tastes like candy to me.  I think it's because of my early associations with Malibu rum, which I drank a lot of in my early days.  Any alcohol that (to my mind) tastes like candy is assigned into the "silly piffle" category of my mind.  This is not to say I won't drink something that tastes like candy, but that in my mind I dismiss it as silly and maybe embarrassing (to me), and definitely not "serious" drinking.  I have interesting, oddly rigid ideas about alcohol and gender and adulthood.  I think this KITH skit really formed my ideas about liquor consumption.  Like I consider a Tom Collins a fine, upstanding and suitably masculine to be respectable, wine to be feminine, but also mature and respectable (if made properly, rather than just gin and 7-up). Anything cut with pop is kid stuff to me.  There's something totally adult about drinking scotch in my mind, though I've never once tried it myself, because there's something mature about drinking straight alcohol in my mind because of that skit.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »

I can't stand rum. Even the flavored ones and slurpee-style drinks taste way the hell too much like rum. But kind of like Smells I also picked up somewhere that all acceptable man-drinks have 2 or fewer words in their names (not counting 'n' as a word). Martini, scotch neat, gin 'n' tonic, etc. Of course the only one I can tolerate is vodka tonic, but I actually hate the taste of tonic, just less so than the alternatives. And my parents only buy diet tonic which ads that terrible metallic aftertaste.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 04:15:17 pm »

My rum of choice is Demerara rum, from Guyana. El Dorado is the brand that is generally available in North America.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

I do love gin.

Did I mention ordering a GnT in an airport bar and being brought a double gin rocks? Really? How often is a gin on the rocks ordered?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »

gin or bourbon for me. vodka is boring and bland to my tongue, though some of the nicer vodkas, neat, can be quite tasty -- but vodka's almost always mixed, innit? rum is usually sweet, and i have just about zero sweet tooth, so i don't much cotton to it.

a manhattan is about as sweet as i go for, and a good one isn't very sweet. a martini is made with gin, fuck the heathens who turned ordering a martini into bartender confusion.

rocks glass + rocks + two shots of gin + splash of grenadine + ginger ale to cover = what i call the Shirley Bassey, because it looks like a Shirley Temple but will fuck you up in an evening.

sometimes i get the feeling that the only gin people actually know about is cheap, cheap stuff. with gin probably more than any other liquor, you get what you pay for, and sorry for the cliche.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:22 pm »

I was really into G&T's a few years ago, and now I don't like them at all. I'm not sure why. That might have been my drunkest year.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »

I'm lots of times doing gin with a splash of ginger ale. I like the grenadine splash, too - I will check that out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »

Really? How often is a gin on the rocks ordered?

I am mystified by people who order gin martinis and then insist there be as little vermouth as possible in them. I have literally heard of bartenders swirling vermouth around in the glass, then dumping it out, and adding the gin. JUST ORDER GIN, you doofus.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:02 pm »

There is a rumor that when Winston Churchill made a martini, when it came time to add the vermouth, he just looked at the bottle.

Others hold the glass of gin to their mouths and whisper the word "vermouth" over the contents.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'm with you, Carlos. Just order gin.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »

I have literally heard of bartenders swirling vermouth around in the glass, then dumping it out, and adding the gin.
add an olive, and this is exactly how you make a martini. also, you stir it (james bond is wrong), for two reasons: shaking makes the drink cloudy, and negatively effects the delicate flavor balance found in any good gin.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 10:08:53 pm »

Seems pretty ridiculous to me. I'm with you, Carlos. Just order gin.

Me too.  Is there some stigma about just ordering straight gin?  Why order a martini that isn't a martini?  It's like ordering a cheeseburger, hold the cheese.  They have a name for that dish -- it's a hamburger.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:27 pm »

add an olive, and this is exactly how you make a martini. also, you stir it (james bond is wrong), for two reasons: shaking makes the drink cloudy, and negatively effects the delicate flavor balance found in any good gin.
Wasn't Bond's a vodka martini though?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 12:34:23 am »

Wasn't Bond's a vodka martini though?

Not strictly. He's the origin of the Vesper, after all.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 05:00:16 am »

Me too.  Is there some stigma about just ordering straight gin?

I ordered straight gin once. In Chicago. The bartender asked "...and what?" When I said just gin she acted like I had just whipped my cock out. That is, gave me a look equal parts pity and disgust.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Rum! Fuck!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 06:02:04 am »

the vesper is a fine cocktail, one i order periodically. in fact, i just had one the other day on a date with the missus.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up