Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixtapes are hard to make  (Read 2263 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« on: January 11, 2004, 08:22:53 am »

You gotta mix 'em and shit and it's not easy to get the right blend.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 09:56:08 am »

There is a definite art to it.
I really enjoy mixing, but then it's one of my myriad jobs. But then that's mixing not making mix tapes. Although it's basically the same. Just with some extra thrown in.
I'm going to bed already...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 05:53:27 pm »

For me, back when I was furiously file-trading, I would wind up with a random batch of tunes that needed to be put on a CD.  So I would just juggle them.  I just try to make it so that there' s some kind of through-line from one song to another, even if the CD winds up taking some very strange turns.  

And then sometimes you just have to find a bridging song to fill the gap.  "How the fuck do I get from Jennifer Lopez's 'Waiting For Tonight' to 'Los Angeles' by X?  Hmmm...wait!  'I Know What Boys Like' by The Waitresses!"  That kinda shit.

The Todd CD kinda starts off as a raucous party CD, then becomes a power pop sampler, and winds down into something quiet.  And that's one of my more rational mixes.  

My 2 cents.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 06:35:07 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
For me, back when I was furiously file-trading, I would wind up with a random batch of tunes that needed to be put on a CD.  So I would just juggle them.  I just try to make it so that there' s some kind of through-line from one song to another, even if the CD winds up taking some very strange turns.  

And then sometimes you just have to find a bridging song to fill the gap.  "How the fuck do I get from Jennifer Lopez's 'Waiting For Tonight' to 'Los Angeles' by X?  Hmmm...wait!  'I Know What Boys Like' by The Waitresses!"  That kinda shit.

The Todd CD kinda starts off as a raucous party CD, then becomes a power pop sampler, and winds down into something quiet.  And that's one of my more rational mixes.

My 2 cents.


I'm just about to say fuck it it's done.  I wanted to make a mix of pure power pop and rock 'n roll, but instead it came out all murder ballads and country 'n western.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 06:53:12 pm »

I usually try to start out with one song that I decide I NEED to have on the cd, and build around it thematically.  For my "55 Years Later" mix, it was 'Papa Was a Rodeo', so I picked songs that I thought had a similar mood or tempo.  I don't even think I've listened to it all the way through, so hopefully it came together ok.

Edit:  Oh, and Paul, your cd sounds super rad.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 08:02:40 pm »

I am already frustrated that there are about two dozen more songs that aren't on my mix that I want to share with you people.

So those I haven't yet mailed may get a two volume set.  If you get only a single disc and feel cheated, PM me for the other disc.

NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 09:18:51 pm »

My format:  as I've done each of the past few years, I kept a list of every CD I picked up over the course of the year.  Then in December, I take them, plus whatever various MP3s and so on that I think represent the year, and mix 'em up.  I had about 23 or so songs but had to boil them down to 17 to fit on a disc.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 09:52:26 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
My format:  as I've done each of the past few years, I kept a list of every CD I picked up over the course of the year.  Then in December, I take them, plus whatever various MP3s and so on that I think represent the year, and mix 'em up.  I had about 23 or so songs but had to boil them down to 17 to fit on a disc.


Yes Carlos thanks for pointing out that this would be a hell of a lot easier if I were more organized.  J/K.

EDIT:  J/K about my sarcastic tone, not J/K about being totally disorganized.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 10:01:58 pm »

I know so little about music and am so bad at consistent themes that I just throw on whatever I feel like in any order.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mixtapes are hard to make
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 11:59:14 pm »

Bolstered by Andalucia's encouragement I've stepped up to the plate and taken another swing at creating a satisfactory mixtape.  A few minor adjustments later and my creation is ready for distribution.  Even as I write the burner is churning at a moderate 24x.  Now to create a label.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up