Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: There needs to be a word for...  (Read 6543 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
There needs to be a word for...
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »

Ever have that experience where you know there should be a word or term for something, but there just isn't?  Let's have a thread where we discuss the need for certain words, create words and/or refute that the appropriate word already exists.

I'll start us off: 

The experience of waiting on a cellphone or other portable electronic device to complete charging so you can leave.  I think there needs to be a word or term for that.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »

Oh, yeah, I put one of those questions last week on Facebook: There ought to be a word for that modern feeling of disappointment when your blog gets linked to at a site with much more traffic and yet it doesn't end up making you famous.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:41:35 am »

wombles: memeblocked?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:46:35 am »

This is the job that sMets was born for.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »

The experience of waiting on a cellphone or other portable electronic device to complete charging so you can leave.  I think there needs to be a word or term for that.

Cell-sitting?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:30:11 pm »

Wired has "Jargon Watch," so if you come up with a term for something like that, maybe send it to them and see if it catches on.

The one I'd like to send it but haven't is "Facebook triangulation." That is when two people you are FB friends with through different channels turn out to be FB friends through a separate, third channel. For example, a high school friend and a co-worker turn out to have gone to college together.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:32:10 pm »

I don't know if I think there should be a word for this, but I think there is one in some other language. I don't know how to explain this without using an example:

so I just got a text message from my newly ex-GF's best friend telling me that she is reading 50 Shades of Grey in public and feels embarrassed. This conversation is two things:
-- we had talked about how weird it is that people are reading porn in public. Really intense porn.
-- Hey, dude, we are still friends even though you and my friend broke up
I often think of this kind of message as a thing men do who are not into emotions.

My two favorite words that English doesn't have are Kummerspeck (fat gained due to emotional eating-- literally "grief-bacon") and an Inuit word I can't remember. The second one is a word for when you are waiting for someone to arrive, and you can't get anything else done because you keep going to check the door.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »

maybe she wants a ride on the inev train
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:38 pm »

This thread is locked.

I'm afraid Rich Hall is going to sue.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »

and an Inuit word I can't remember. The second one is a word for when you are waiting for someone to arrive, and you can't get anything else done because you keep going to check the door.


This is one of the worst things.  The guy I play guitar with is usually 15 min-2 hours late, so, like, yeah, I am really bad at just sitting in my house waiting for him to show up and shit.  Then he gets there and I am worn out from waiting.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:46 am »

This is one of the worst things.  The guy I play guitar with is usually 15 min-2 hours late, so, like, yeah, I am really bad at just sitting in my house waiting for him to show up and shit.  Then he gets there and I am worn out from waiting.

Sounds like my in-laws. Ho!

Speaking of in-laws, what do you call two people who are vaguely related, but by two degrees of marital separation? So, like, my husband's sister's husband is my brother-in-law, and my brother's sister is my sister-in-law, but what are they to each other? Or what about my husband's brother's wife's brother, AKA my brother-in-law's brother-in-law? This is a Thing that Comes Up, because some of the extended extended family lives locally and often shows up at some point on Thanksgiving.

For a more commonplace example, what about the relationship between my parents and Pedro's parents? They share the same grandchildren, but there is no word for the familial relationship there. Not in English, anyway -- my FIL has told me the word they use for it in Argentina but I cannot for the life of me remember it right now.

Anyway, all these people who are incidentally-related-but-not-really...I call them "outlaws." But it doesn't seem to have caught on.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:29 am »

The Indians I work with solved this problem pretty straight forward. Everyone outside of the main dad-mom-sister-brother-grandparents club is either an uncle or an auntie. The who is what to whom is kept in mind, but the title part is really simple.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 03:09:23 am »

Anyway, all these people who are incidentally-related-but-not-really...I call them "outlaws." But it doesn't seem to have caught on.

When the in-laws get stretched out far enough like you're describing I start calling them outlaws.

Guess I spoke too soon.

The Indians I work with solved this problem pretty straight forward. Everyone outside of the main dad-mom-sister-brother-grandparents club is either an uncle or an auntie. The who is what to whom is kept in mind, but the title part is really simple.

I think that's what the do in Mexico, too. But doesn't that only apply to people who are a generation (or more) older? I think (in Mexico at least) they use "cousin" for anyone of the same generation or younger. IIRC.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:19:38 am »

I think that's what the do in Mexico, too. But doesn't that only apply to people who are a generation (or more) older? I think (in Mexico at least) they use "cousin" for anyone of the same generation or younger. IIRC.
Yeah, cousin is the catch all for your generation and younger
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: There needs to be a word for...
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 01:09:57 am »

...that feeling of knowing the end has begun, especially applied to the life of a creature or person.  Premourning?  That doesn't seem poetic enough.

My elderly cat is showing signs of moving towards his end.  He expelled his anal gland in a small pool on the couch and my leg.   These terrible portends, these sad signs, mark the fact we are moving towards that situation where I have to make a sad decision. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:17:06 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up