So, since most of you folks don't spend time North of the border, I'm not sure how much of this has seeped in. For me, up in Canada, the presence of this awful man has seeped into most areas of the media. Luka Magnotta, known by many aliases, has been creating his own infamy for some time. His early life on the internet appears to be him creating mostly baseless claims that he is a porn star and model. There seems to be some proof that he did work as an escort in Toronto based on some ads for him under the name Jimmy.
Then Magnotta began editing himself into the life of
Karla Homolka, one of the most infamous women in Canada. He did this not by claiming to know her, but
by claiming not to know her. If you browse the web, multiple posts on messageboards and blogs that seem to be Magnotta writing in the third person, make claims that the two are linked, while writing as himself Magnotta refutes the claims. He's a terrible writer, and it's fairly clear both the claims and the refutes are written by the same person because they contain the same spelling and grammar errors and just have the same tone.
In his quest for in more of that good ol' internet infamy, he moved on to a creepier side of taking things into his own hands - he began killing kittens in clips he then uploaded to YouTube. This got him broader attention. I wont link to the videos, nor did I watch them myself, but I've read descriptions - a kitten tied to a stick is drown, kittens are placed in a bag and the air is sucked out, a kitten is fed to a python. Needless to say this made people very angry. A bunch of web sleuths, working in partnership with Anonymous, figured out his identity and called for him to be arrested. At some point, Magnotta is in England and a Sun News reporter interviews him about the kitten killing. Magnotta asserts that he is being framed. Then in December, an email is sent to the Sun saying how much Magnotta is having fun toying with people, and that he is going to move on from making kitten snuff films to making human snuff films.
Cut to the end of May, and all hell breaks loose. First a news story about a rotting human foot being delivered to the Conservative party (the current ruling party in Canada), and a hand being intercepted in the mail but addressed to the Liberal Party - both in Ottawa, and then news of a torso in a suitcase and a blood drenched apartment in Montreal. Magnotta is named as a suspect. I go to Facebook, and the guy has about a dozen accounts claiming he's all over the place - there's a trail where he directly taunts people who had created a page calling for his arrest in the kitten killings. Looking at one of his FB profiles, he has tons of photos of himself, but also references to the film Catch Me If You Can and guides on how to disappear and never be found. It comes out that a letter with the foot indicates that 6 body parts are in the mail. Worse - it comes to light that there is a video of the murder, decapitation, necrophilia and cannibalization of the victim called 1 Lunatic 1 Icepick. The clip has a firm home on a Canadian site called Best Gore (I think it's been taken down, but a quick google shows the clip is still out there, and that reaction videos, much like the 2 Girls 1 Cup situation, are popping up on YouTube). It's circling the internet on Wednesday, and at one point, I make the choice not to watch it. Morbid curiosity took me so close, but I chose not to click. There are some things you can't unsee, so I'm glad I didn't. Anyway, connections are made, people figure out the guy in this clilp is the kitten killer who is Magnotta.
So I found myself on YouTube again last night. I can't resist looking at this narcissist's photos. He's aberrant, he's disgusting, but he's played me and everyone else - I've been to his self named web page, his FB accounts, and now I'm staring at him on YouTube. And then... I find him. He's commenting, live on the video I'm watching (a photo montage of photos of himself) which he has uploaded. People are taunting him in the usual, unintelligent way of YouTube commenter and he's defending and taunting right back, comparing himself to James Dean, saying he's a genius. Or is it him? Part of his game is the claim people are out to get him, and at this point, I wouldn't put it past some weaker loser to impersonate him. Plus with all the aliases, it's hard to know what's real. I don't interact, but I watch as the comments bounce back and forth. It's just too fucked up, there's that awful moment where I half convince myself to step in as the "voice of reason" but I realize how stupid an idea that is, so I take a step back and turn in for the night. This morning the video is gone, but another has been uploaded in it's place. While writing this I found that he's still live posting comments. No one thinks you're James Dean buddy, that's all in your head.
With an Interpol warrant out for his arrest he's got global attention and there are probably thousands of articles on Magnotta blanketing the web at this point, with actual media finally surpassing his own image making. I think the one that puts it best is
this one. What captivates me, and I suppose why so many other people are watching this go down, is that Magnotta is the architect of this, and despite the fact he has done something so awful, he has also figured out how to be compelling. For me his infamy is as fascinating as it is vapid. I can't deny that I'm looking forward to his inevitable capture, and all the stuff that leads up to it. I just hope it happens fast, before he can do more damage to anyone but himself.