Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey  (Read 5618 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Hey
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »

So yeah, my disappearance wasn't because I got hit by a truck or anything. As nearly as my vague recollection goes something happened that led to me being genuinely convinced that I had been shitting up the place for everyone else without realizing it so I figured I might as well just quietly leave and not make a fuss about it so as not to be the asshole I apparently hadn't realized I was. Today I ended up going "I wonder if touamb's still around" and apparently it is, so hey. I looked back at the old posts and I was probably overreacting, but I was also more of an aggressive asshole in my old posts than I needed to be so eh.

My mother, who was ill when I left, died last October. Other than that I still got brain problems and my body problems have gotten worse, I'm on disability but my insurance is in bureaucratic limbo, I don't leave the house very often and I spend most of my time reading pirated comic books. So basically, on the whole I'm probably not a much better person to talk to than I ever was, but at least I've learned to occasionally close the tab instead of getting in perpetual Internet slapfights, so that's something.

I dunno, I probably won't post much but I figured I'd check in and let you know I wasn't dead, I saw I was in the list of OGs in the who's who post so that's pretty cool.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »

Welcome back old man.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »

OMG it's Ben!

I'm sorry if you're unhappy about not leaving the house much, but from my selgiraffe point of view, the bright side is that that gives you plenty of time to post here. Don't be a stranger!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »

Welcome back, man. But get some sunshine once in a while, too.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »

Ben, I remembered you with nothing but fondness and affection. I'm glad to see you back, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

Welcome back. There's no better place to be if you've got brain problems; we're all mad here, after all.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:42 pm »

But get some sunshine once in a while, too.

If you have wireless and a laptop you can do that and post here too!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hey
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:10 am »

Ben, I remembered you with nothing but fondness and affection. I'm glad to see you back, and I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss.

Welcome back. There's no better place to be if you've got brain problems; we're all mad here, after all.

I echo this exactly. Since JL is a better writer I'll just let that stand.

I genuinely enjoyed your contributions to religious and political discussions and you hooked me up with some digital Batman comics once. So yeah, welcome back.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 03:12:07 am »

Oh fuck. This guy?

I keeed, cool to see you around again.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 04:03:35 am »

from my selgiraffe point of view

I'm not sure when it is you left, Ben-San, but it seems like long enough ago that you have quite a few new filters to catch up on.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:54 pm »

I'm glad you're back.  A variety of voices among the figments keeps it from being an echo chamber in here.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:57 am »

I had been shitting up the place for everyone else without realizing it

Hunh?  Here's a promise -- to you and everybody else.  If you are shitting up this place I will flat out tell you about.  Flat out.  Openly and emphatically.  You will recognize it if and when it occurs.  Unless and until it does you can assume you're on good terms around here, OK?

Sorry about your problems.  Please feel free to talk about them or to talk about things that are not your problems, at your discretion. 

Glad you're back.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hey
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:21:53 am »

I've actually disappeared a coupla times for similar reasons.

I'll let you tell me if I've crossed a line from now on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 02:28:19 am »

This surprises me too actually. I've always thought we were pretty clear around here when someone needed a smackdown according to the standards of the community.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 03:16:44 am »

That would kind of be The Saddest Thing. The man who was too crap a dude for internet message boards.

I guess we have kind of a high standard around these parts though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Hey
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:40 am »

Really? It seems the main rules are try not to be a total dick all of the time and try to be funny every so often.

Yeah, I guess those are pretty high standards comparatively.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up