Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to...  (Read 5948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to...
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

I think I would even admit that something like Blink 182 is punk. Just not punk I like.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

nephilim8

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 10:38:29 pm »

Maybe I should also mention that I've read through the Nothing Nice To Say webcomic, (page 1) which essentially makes jokes that hinge on the reader being familiar with the movement, but they mention a lot of punk groups, from The Clash to The Rev Horton Heet to DS-13 to Operation Ivy, so while it's a decent repository of bands to check out, whether or not they are actually any good is left for the reader to find out...

I dunno man, I've gone from Led Zeppelin to 80s metal to prog groups like Rush or Mahavishnu Orch to jazz, so I'm pretty much in unfamiliar waters here.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I want to...
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 12:23:16 am »

blablabla hardcore blablabla metalcore blablabla post-whatever spin magazine article bulshit
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I want to...
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:42:39 am »

My least favorite topic in popular music is whether rap/hip-hop is music.

My second least favorite topic is what counts as punk and what doesn't. Now that nobody talks about what grunge is anymore.

Like, I hate it when a record store has separate punk, indie, metal, emo, grindcore, post-rock, rap, hip-hop, etc. sections, and then of course just rock. So much guessing. Probably just me.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:17 am »

The position I try to hold about genre is "If it sounds good, it is good," which is supposed to be something Duke Ellington said, although I don't know if he was addressing the question of the difference between punk, indie, metal, grindcore, rap and hip-hop. (Seriously, is there really a thing called "grindcore"?)

But - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - Inev has evolved from someone whose posts about music used to annoy me, to someone whose posts about music can be extremely amusing. So I may have to reconsider my opinion about not nitpicking about genre because now I see, not nitpicking - what's the fun in that?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:05 am »

I may get burned at the stake for even asking this, but where do we stand on Green Day? They are sort of billed as punk-esque (or used to be, in the late '90's), but clearly they are not classic punk. Do they fall in that category with Blink 182 of punk-but-not-good-punk, or are they too mainstream even for that?

I like Green Day, but that is probably 85% nostalgia.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:51 am »

I am pretty sure, as a person who hasn't listened to green day since dookie/ middle school, green day is the best version of that blink 182 thing at the beginning (there could be better 90s punk pop bands, that's not really my thing), then just wrong in every way eventually.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to...
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:27 am »

I think they probably count as Punk, but maybe as "pop-punk." I do not really care. I think that some genres are defined by "historical movement" like 20th Century Classical Music or Indie Rock, and other are defined by sound like Punk or Metal. But really that's probably just me bending things around so that I can say what I want.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: I want to...
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:08 am »

So I may have to reconsider my opinion about not nitpicking about genre because now I see, not nitpicking - what's the fun in that?

That's a really good point. I get involved in genre nitpicky discussions all the time. For some reason I love discussing what counts as "Oldies." Also, somehow I ended up playing Move on Up by Curtis Mayfield for some co-workers, and my boss kept going on about how he loves Motown. Dude! Not Motown! It doesn't even have the Motown sound! It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut.

I think they probably count as Punk, but maybe as "pop-punk." I do not really care. I think that some genres are defined by "historical movement" like 20th Century Classical Music or Indie Rock, and other are defined by sound like Punk or Metal. But really that's probably just me bending things around so that I can say what I want.

It's funny you say that, because to me, Indie Rock is more about a sound and Punk is more about a movement. I mean, without a doubt there's a sound too, but take two punk albums I genuinely like, Pink Flag and Punk in Drublic. Pink Flag is way more punk, even though most people would insist on throwing post or art in front of punk to describe it.

I lied, I love this kind of discussion. But not talking about whether rap is music.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: I want to...
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:47 am »

"Seriously, is there really a thing called 'grindcore'?"

its real.  first, you take some mud.  then, you add pine cones and a box of 16-penny nails.  for the last step, you force all  that BS into your brain via the ear canal.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:41 pm »

To me, real punk consists (consisted) of bands of friends/acquaintances of barely educated, marginalized kids circling the drain of nihilism and drug abuse who found some outlet for the anger and despair in simple arrangements of really angry music that gave them some status above the crowds of other kids in the same boat and but not much else PLUS the music industry types who realized that while any given band would rise, produce and disintegrate in at most 3 years, a pretty good revolving door of revenue could be created around calling the scene Punk and riding that wave as long as it lasted.  Against that backdrop the occasional legit musician would come along, be a part of all that, then get bored and actually start creating some music.  This was known as selling out, but would form the nucleus of "pop-punk" bands like The Offspring, NoFX, Green Day, etc.
I was a big fan of Punk when I was 16-19, but more because I was a testosterone soaked, socially marginal kid than because the musical structure, melodies, and lyrics were so transcendent.  Truth be told, even then I found it boring unless it was at a show or a club where there was the mob mentality to lift me out of my skull.  Metal and Industrial music on the other hand was actually something I could listen to for more than 3 songs in a row.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

nephilim8

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:45 am »

So, is that it then? Basically I should just roulette it and pick a group from wikipedia's "punk musical groups" page listing and go for it?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to...
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:50 am »

no, you should listen to the bands I told you to listen to.

In addition:

Minor Threat
Wire
Black Flag
X
Minutemen

Some of those are probably "not punk."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 02:28:59 am »

X

Minutemen

Dead Kennedy's

The Damned
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

nephilim8

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: I want to...
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:34 pm »

Ok after rereading the thread I see where you were going with your posts Inev, I guess maybe I should have asked for a two-column list with GREAT PUNK and SUCKY PUNK or somesuch, but I will give those a shot.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up