Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...  (Read 2668 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« on: January 12, 2004, 01:39:18 pm »

http://www.eaglesofdeathmetal.net/slims.html
Eagles of Death Metal live at The Slims...
Not a long show, but it's superb.

(Carlo Von Sexron is Josh Homme's commonly used moniker for his random side projects, and yes, Jesse Hughes appears to be a complete freak (grin))
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 09:35:12 pm »

What tracks would you recommend in particular?
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 11:13:59 pm »

Well, Whorehoppin' (Shit Goddamn) is possibly my favourite, although the live version doesn't have the oh-so-awesome overwhammied solo that is one of my favourite ever solos.
I Only Want You is very good.
Already Died has a fantastic little guitar riff to it.
Bad Dream Mama is great, and possibly the one to try what with it being the opener and all.
I find it kind of difficult to pick any out of this (35minute) gig, since they don't quite work out of context.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 02:38:43 am »

Curse you slink, I was supposed to be writing an essay for french class tonight, but I couldn't get the mp3s in the link you posted to work, so I've been seeking out these mp3s... they are seven kinds of hella rad though.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 04:02:31 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
Curse you slink, I was supposed to be writing an essay for french class tonight, but I couldn't get the mp3s in the link you posted to work, so I've been seeking out these mp3s... they are seven kinds of hella rad though.


Sorry, yes, my brother couldn't get anything but a 404 when he tried. So I've had to promise him a copy when I next see him.
I'll have a look and see if I can find the link to the album version of Shit Goddamn someone ripped from Satellites of the Stone Age a while back.

Seven kinds of hella rad kind of suits them too. Think I might start referring to them as such.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 03:45:48 pm »

I downloaded those tunes last night and began listening to them.  They sounded pretty good at first then it started sounding wrong.  At first I thought it was just because they were crappy mp3, but no, that wasn't it.  That's when I realized there wasn't any bass.  I had to disregard them at that point.  I must stand in solidarity with the bass players of the world.  Don't cut the bass.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 05:23:04 pm »

Message of solidarity from Bass Player Enthusiasts United to pmcd9.  
Stay real.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 06:14:53 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Don't cut the bass.

~Paul


I can appreciate that in most circumstances, but well, doesn't always have to count. And the whole thing about EODM is that they're the whole bluegrass thing, and thus don't need it.
Plus from what I can tell the record does have bass cut in.
You just have to hear the record version. It's the mutts nuts.

http://www.furnation.com/krychick/satellites/Satellites%20of%20the%20Stone%20Age%20-%2006%20-%20Eagles%20of%20Death%20Metal%20-%20Shit%20Goddamm.mp3
The album version of Shit Goddamn - try that out for size (and dig that solo!)

And hell, if you're there, check out the Desert Sessions finest - I wanna make it wit chu - possibly my favourite of the tracks from that album -
http://www.furnation.com/krychick/satellites/Satellites%20of%20the%20Stone%20Age%20-%2001%20-%20Desert%20Sessions%209%20and%2010%20-%20Wanna%20Make%20it%20Witchu.mp3
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 07:27:35 pm »

Quote from: "slink"


http://www.furnation.com/krychick/satellites/Satellites%20of%20the%20Stone%20Age%20-%2006%20-%20Eagles%20of%20Death%20Metal%20-%20Shit%20Goddamm.mp3
The album version of Shit Goddamn - try that out for size (and dig that solo!)


Shit! Goddamn! That guy can not get over the whammy bar!

It took a few seconds to sink in, but both I Wanna Make It Witchu and this one do, in fact, Rock in ways I appreciate.

Thanks!
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Blue Grass Strip Music for the Devil...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2004, 12:10:54 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Thanks!


My pleasure!
I do absolutely dig the vibe of both those trakc s in particular.
And well, Homme is just a fuck*ng genius, goddamn him!

And yes, re the solo in Shit Goddamn, the one in Wanna Make it Wit Chu is also one of my favourites - so understated, and the first little lick in the main solo follows such a superb melody.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up