Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling Artcar Paul  (Read 2879 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Calling Artcar Paul
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:48 pm »

I never had an inspiration for an artcar before, but this is an idea I could work with:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archiemcphee/7397696318/
Change those to pugs or wombats and that would be my kind of thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

Ah yes, the Squirly Whirly artcar by Tre Taylor out of San Fransisco. She was up in Seattle this past weekend for the Seattle Artcar Blowout. Tre writes for Artcar Nation, by the way. She most recently wrote this story.

If you are getting artcar inspirations you should glue some pug/wombat artifiacts (I know you have a large collection) onto that pretty beetle of yours and drive it up to Baltimore and see how much fun it is to drive an artcar.  Even better, if you want to show your creative side, make some pug or wombat figures like those Achewood ones you made for me and glue that on. Awesome!

If you're not ready to commit to driving an artcar you can attach them with tape or magnets. Once you see how much fun it is you might want to have a permanent artcar. :)

Oh, by the way, I haven't mentioned this before, but I am strongly considering making an Achewood Artcar. There's already an XKCD artcar.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:50:13 pm »

The inner city art program run by an old friend of mine has just unveiled its artcar created by Olaf Mooij. It's interesting because it's an audio as well as visual thing.  I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »

That's a pretty cool car, but the video won't play for me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:34 pm »

Okay, I have some technical questions for Paul about Dragonfire. I am playing a zombie-themed role-playing campaign with Pedro and two other grownups and two eleven-year-olds, and my character is a seventeen-year-old girl genius with no weaponry skills but a knack for fixing things and making homemade explosives.

I did some research into the chemistry involved in blowing things up in your kitchen, and I thought it might be useful to modify our team's imaginary van (affectionately dubbed The Mystery Machine) to include a tailpipe flamethrower. No prizes for guessing where I got that idea. So my question is -- how does it work? I know you need to wire a switch to a spark plug to ignite the gas, but what are you actually burning when you light the flames?

In other news, I am probably on some kind of FBI watchlist now, because my Google search history strongly resembles that of an anarcho-terrorist now.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »

I don't know exactly how it works, but those tailpipe flame throwers are burning gasoline that has passed through the engine un-ignited.

That's not how Dragonfire works of course. I am burning propane in a closed system which is completely separate from the cars power plant.  Well that's not entirely true, the two systems do share a battery.

How much information do you need to trick out your imaginary van?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »

Hm. What would I need to reroute some of the fuel? I don't need to know exactly how to do it; I can imagine in a general way how it would work, and that's close enough. But I do need a relatively realistic chance of being able to procure the necessary materials from my current surroundings, which include a hardware store and a farm. So, maybe some rubber tubing to run the gas line and some kind of fuel injection valve to keep the flames from travelling up to the gas tank? (I know next to nothing about cars, excuse my ignorance if that sounds ridiculous.)

Which would be easier to build -- a fuel-injected tailpipe, flamethrower or a front-mounted, propane-fueled model similar to the ones you have on Dragonfire, but facing forward (the better to torch zombies with)?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »

They sell a kit that kills one of your sparkplugs so the gas passes through to the exhaust. That's probably the simplest solution. You could do it without the kit too if you knew what parts to buy and how to hook it up.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41:36 am »

Wait, they sell a kit to make your car shoot fire?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 01:54:57 am »

Wait, they sell a kit to make your car shoot fire?
http://www.flamekitz.com/index.html
Evidently it is $90 and requires you to remove your catalytic converter, so there goes any chance of passing inspection. Their installation page suggests covering all wire connections with electrical tape to, you know, prevent unwanted electrical fires.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 02:51:26 am »

http://www.flamekitz.com/index.html
Evidently it is $90 and requires you to remove your catalytic converter, so there goes any chance of passing inspection. Their installation page suggests covering all wire connections with electrical tape to, you know, prevent unwanted electrical fires.

Safety first!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 02:57:11 am »

Catalytic Converters are for pussies.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Artcar Paul
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 04:09:17 am »

Aaah, the missing piece. I get it now, thanks.

I think this will work. My character might not know exactly how to do it, but she has befriended a non-player character who could help and would certainly have the parts.

Thanks, Paul. Betty Browning is going to be the belle of the ball next Sunday, mark my words.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up