Hello, I am newly registered and have been trying to find a topic relevant to this and I apologise if it is something that has been tread over and over, though I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.
I only discovered Achewood the day before 'Our Predictions for 2011' was posted and I spent weeks solidly reading through every strip; it became possibly my favourite thing in any medium though I was upset how late I was to the party and I checked every day for a new strip. I was overjoyed when 'Ray in Rehab' came up and I wept with laughter at the Roast Beef-isms. But I have finally found myself questioning whether he has, well, 'lost it' so to speak.
I have no enmity towards Onstad, as people often seemed to display in assetbar, and am under no illusions that he owes me anything or should exist to please me. He created a wonderful thing that still exists and few enough people even know about it. I wouldn't be angry if Altimiter Tim became a new main character in a daily strip (just deeply disappointed), but reading back over old strips as I do most days I can't see a damn reason why he should have lost it. I think it was great because although obviously it was hilarious, it was a sparse and effective thing that sometimes became totally transcendent and magical. It strikes me that it could do that because it never forgot it was a comic strip. I know Onstad worried about repeating himself but I'd pay money to read 'The Philippe Times' every week or Vlad's talk show and it might not break new ground but it would add to a body of work that is valuable and doesn't need to prove itself. Now it seems that he just wants to try and make the transcendent, esoteric part and forgot about the comic strip and the only possible result is that both will fail. I can't second guess him, I don't know what he's planning but in the last couple of days when I load the page and see Altimiter Tim's face it makes me think a thing I've been trying to ignore since the hiatus started; that it's over.
I thought the Nate Small novella was really fantastic and I dearly wish I could buy proper books of it and I'd never question Onstad's great talent, but I don't know why he doesn't seem to use it. I would be grateful to know what other's opinion is.