Has anyone here ever directly contact Onstad with criticism or hate mail since the inception of TOUAMB in 2003?
I don't know about criticism or hate mail but some of us have definitely been in touch with since then. Surely, speaking of slobbering, you recall my story that I went to see him on his book tour and he knew who I was before I really introduced myself. Squee, and I had him sign my arm, and all that. So yes, Llew, he definitely used to speak to readers.
So, I was thinking of the whole "how could he abandon this" question, and I can't believe I haven't made these points before, but, a soliloquy:
One the one hand, to someone like me who is trying to have some success at creative work, it's mindboggling that he would not keep the strip up. He was successful enough to support his family. He had lines out the door at book signings. As someone who published two books and have had both publishers decline to publish followups because the first ones didn't sell enough, I can't imagine why he'd throw it all away.
On the other hand, as some of you may recall, I personally threw away a previous career that to all outside appearances was successful. People don't just quit tenured university jobs. But that is what I did. And there's more similarity than you might think, in this way: Nowadays, getting a faculty job where you can do research is a lot like trying to become a successful artist in that there are way, way more people who want to do it than will ever actually get to do it. I basically felt in my career like I was standing at the top of a heap of broken bodies, metaphorically. I guarantee there were people who were as envious of me as I am of Onstad.
But there came a point where I couldn't do it anymore. Part of it was feeling that I was out of creative ideas, although there was more to it than that, but that was a critical part of it. Anyway, basically I did exactly what he has done except for that I made a clean break since there was no other way to do it.
And yet still I feel.... good God, man, I would kill for lines out the door at book signings, how hard is it to make more stories about cartoon cats? I can throughly empathize with both sides of this question to an extent that practically makes my brain want to explode.