On the other side of things, as a professional playwright who has come close to reaching the highest success possible for my country of origin and genre, I don't feel at all what you feel about it Wombat. My measure of success never had anything to do with audience numbers, but to do with and internal measure of whether I felt I was successfully expressing something in the manner that felt true to me. People are shocked when they realize I didn't run home after my last production and instantly start churning out the next script, because for certain, the measure of success where I live, to most people, is if they fly you to the theatre capitol of the country and put your show on with a big budget. I am as successful as it gets for a female, aboriginal playwright from Winnipeg. And I came home and walked away and took on a totally different career path unrelated to the arts. Why? The easy answer is that I like sleeping in my own bed and being in the city where all the people I love are. The deeper truth is that I was emptied out by that production. My bough was most certainly dry. And it stayed that way for three years.
Now, about three weeks after I sent that same damn script off to the publisher finally, really letting it go, what did I do? On Friday, I proposed a massive, brand new writing project that I came up with (super inspired, super excited) out of thin air based on a call for proposals. Where the fuck did that come from? I have no idea.
But here's the thing: I don't have to write the same characters again. I would rather gouge my eyes out than write the same characters, the same story again. I spent seven years writing and re-writing that play, workshopping it, re-writing it, hearing different actors play the characters. I don't mind hearing it be re-performed because the actors and directors and composers and choreographers make it new. But my own words? Me sitting at my desk tinkering with that creation? Barf. No thank you.
What I wish for Onstad is that he finds something new, if it's with these characters or with another creation entirely. Something that breathes life and passion into his work. I'm sorry, but there is no passion in tinkering. The little dribbles we're getting? As a reader, I'm glad to have them, but as an artist, I know what real creative drive looks like, and this ain't it.