But we can agree on Wayne Coyne being a douche right?
Here are my arguments:
1- That thing with Erika Badu, plus, mainly, how her open letter to him totally summed up my opinions in a first hand way (he doesn't care about actually doing anything or saying anything in a provocative way to make a point, he kinda just wants people to look at him. This is my main beef.)
2- When I saw them in like 2006-7 it was the worst show of my life and the only bad experience I have had on ecstacy. He wouldn't play the fuck*ng songs, instead he just kept telling us how great we were and how he loved us. That is all well and good, but I paid him money and took drugs under the impression I was going to a concert. It was also at the OKC Zoo and they didn't fuck*ng play Christmas at the Zoo or This Here Giraffe.
3- This year I made my yearly trip back to Oklahoma a little after New Years. Apparently, he had just caused stirs in the hipster community there by taking lsd with yoko ono at midnight on new years and then telling people about it and inviting people there?? I don't know, that just seems really off putting to me. I love drugs, particularly that one, and I love bands that use that drug in a non-blatant way, particularly his in the 90s. However, I like it when you use those drugs to make trippier, wider ranging music. Not when you use those drugs to somehow make people think you are cool or something? I don't know, being too open in a kinda commercial/slimy attention-y way with drugs is shitty to me, cause I care about drugs, especially that one and reefer. They can make the world a better place, so best not to use that for attention. Hopefully he had a mildly bad trip because of that.
I can't comment on 1 because I'm not familiar with the story and 3 because, well, because, but I saw them last year and thought it was fantastic. I've only seen them once before, 2004 at Coachella, so I probably don't have the depth of appreciation you have. I enjoyed this show so much more. I also really like Embryonic.
But, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a douche. I just don't care all that much. I still like Joe Meek and Phil Spector records a lot, so apparently I'm good at filtering the really shitty elements of an artist's life.