As a newbie biker, I think I might have some insights since it is all so fresh in my mind:
-get a hard seat. do not get a soft seat. ask them if you can try out a bike that has the seat you are looking at installed. You want to feel the weight on the hard bones in your ass, not in your taint/balls/crotch. Try out a couple of different ones.
-I went to a local bike co-op which sells used bikes that they have fixed up. I got a bike that I love so far for 160$. But I have already spent nearly that much on bike gear (helmet, new seat, lights) because I am silly and scared of being hit by a car.
-I own a 70's copy of
this book that my friend found at Goodwill. It is a little helpful, but honestly most of this stuff is on the internet. Neither internet nor this book was able to solve the weird clicking sound I was getting, and then it went away.
-I got an
application for my phone that tracks my rides. My biggest problem so far is that I forget to use it when I ride, and then I forget to turn it off so it says that I went like 2 miles an hour the whole way. But it's nice to be able to look at a particular ride and see how much elevation I climbed. Also, looking at this now makes me realize that a lot of rides that I thought I uploaded just disappeared into the aether. That is too bad.
-I am pretty amazed at how quickly you become able to go longer distances on the bike. Realizing that you just went 20 miles is pretty cool, even though I know real bikers do not consider that worth mentioning. My friend who started at the same time as me bikes a few miles to work every day, and is already miles and miles ahead of me (literally) in terms of fitness after only a month or two.
-If it is hot where you live, bike at night. I love this. Get really good lights. Wear bright colors. I bought a small waterproof backpack that is made of a reflective yellow material. I keep a spare tube, tire levers, my lights, extra batteries, and my U-Lock in my bag. This might be dangerous, but it is so fun.
-In regards to lights, You need to be seen, but you also need to be able to see the road ahead of you to avoid potholes. Maybe potholes are not as much of a problem in cities where they maintain roads.
-When biking on the road, think about where cars will be looking, and be there. Drivers are looking for obstacles/cars behind them, and to their left. They do not look to see if you are coming up to their right in between them and the curb. If you are coming up behind a row of stopped cars at a light/stop sign, stop behind the last car in line. Don't be afraid to "take the lane."
Biking in a group or even with a single friend is 10000 times more fun. Explore your city, find cool parks and bike to there, etc. If you want to work up to being able to bike 200 miles, you might want to drive away from the city to someplace with very little traffic so that you can just ride without worrying as much, or something. I'm sure Seattle has good bike trails.
Now that I finished this, maybe I am telling you things you already know since you specified "biking
regularly." Oh well.