Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics  (Read 20688 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:12 pm »

I'm sure it wasn't a huge amount of money (maybe five grand), but he probably wasn't managing his money very well and I bet he blew through it pretty quickly. Sarcastically denigrating people who are complaining that they were defrauded out of money that they paid, thinking they were going to get a book in exchange, is fuck*ng ridiculous. There are no books to build a sarcasm-fort to defend yourself with, Chris. The books were never printed and you just took the money instead of paying the printer.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Onstad's internet sock puppet is called BugMeNot2?

This is good information to have.
I imagine that is a login from bugmenot.com and thus not owned by any one person. You could probably look up the password and make contradictory posts. But I agree that said post was probably from Onstrad.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »

I actually find the cookbook situation kind of fascinating right now. I'm sure he never released it because he kept fiddling with it and never thought it was good enough, and then the whole rest of his life fell apart, and now that he's sort of got his act back together, he's trying to make a career as a serious food writer, so he can't release a cookbook written by cartoon cats, you know? It would be embarassing.

I wonder if he will also never post the original cookbook in the new store. I think it might be time for me to scan it.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »

I actually find the cookbook situation kind of fascinating right now. I'm sure he never released it because he kept fiddling with it and never thought it was good enough, and then the whole rest of his life fell apart, and now that he's sort of got his act back together, he's trying to make a career as a serious food writer, so he can't release a cookbook written by cartoon cats, you know? It would be embarassing.

I wonder if he will also never post the original cookbook in the new store. I think it might be time for me to scan it.



Any of those scenarios may be true, but there's nothing preventing him from issuing refunds to the people who did pay upfront for a book that hadn't even been finished or printed yet.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »

On the other hand, we live in a country where fraud is illegal. Plus he was kind of a dick to a bunch of strangers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:27:57 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:47 pm »

On the other hand, we live in a country where fraud is illegal. Plus he was king of a dick to a bunch of strangers.

Can'd. He should have advertised truthfully and set out a PayPal "Donate" button instead, if that was how the money was being used. Maybe he didn't get enough "pre-orders" to pay the printer upfront. Maybe he pissed away all the money instead of paying the printer. Maybe he was disappointed with the finished product, or dithered around and never got a finished product. The customers should have been refunded if he was running a legit business. Or maybe Liz had already split by that point, and he couldn't figure out how to do it.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 11:44:47 pm »

Quote from: linnea
Or maybe Liz had already split by that point, and he couldn't figure out how to do it.

I kind of want that to be the explanation because... like... of the reasonable explanations, that is the only one where we might feel a need to cut a dude some slack on it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 11:54:28 pm »

I kind of want that to be the explanation because... like... of the reasonable explanations, that is the only one where we might feel a need to cut a dude some slack on it.

Yes, it's not very much money, and I am only personally out less than $20, but it's still not right. He produced one of my favorite things ever for 10 years. I bought every book he released, at least a dozen shirts, posters, stickers, all kinds of shit. I am sure that most of his fans didn't purchase much, if anything, to cover his bandwidth costs or his cost of living in San Carlos and then the move to Portland. I admire him for his success in a field where very very few artists are able to live off their webcomics work. He maintained his creative output for a long time, and I don't fault him for wanting to do something else now. However, dude doesn't exactly seem destitute or down-and-out to me. Maybe he feels that he can afford to cultivate a new fanbase now as a culinary writer, but I still think it's low to rip off a small group of loyal fans, even if it was less than five grand.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:30 am »

You know how there's always that conversation about how fans can get very entitled about how they 'deserve' or are owed a product, particularly in the case of webcomics?
This is almost a subversion where the artist expects fans to support him in the absence of art. 'Stad's business model has become an artistic statement.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 01:11:38 am »

You know how there's always that conversation about how fans can get very entitled about how they 'deserve' or are owed a product, particularly in the case of webcomics?
This is almost a subversion where the artist expects fans to support him in the absence of art. 'Stad's business model has become an artistic statement.
Or how customers feel like they are entitled or owed a product they paid for?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

Remind me to call Ash if I ever need to borrow $20.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:53 am »

hey inev, if you need to borrow 20 bucks, ask ash.

you asked me to remind you.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 02:09:19 am »

$20? Screw that. I have a bridge I'd like to sell him.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 02:44:35 am »

Quote from: Asherdan
why shouldn't he rip you just like that goddam pot dealer in 9th grade.

SLEEPYBEAR TEA!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: What Chris Onstad is doing instead of making comics
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 07:26:32 am »

(I might give you something, though)

20 buckshot?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up