Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Laughing Stock of Canada  (Read 4459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
The Laughing Stock of Canada
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:03:39 pm »

So, this is pretty funny, I've got to admit.  I wonder how he would have responded if someone asked him IF HE WOULD LIKE SOME FRITTATA?! 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:55:24 pm »

Yikes! "I thank the Lord Jesus Christ" that this maniac didn't have his gun.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:40:43 pm »

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »

so what's the stampede then
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:01 pm »

so what's the stampede then

It's a rodeo (Ash is pretty dead on with his description), and Bob Barker hates it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:51:59 pm »

Lass-sue?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:42 pm »

Sorry, I'm really behind on threads.

I may have told this story before. Some of my friends went up to the stampede 2 or 3 years ago. A couple dudes started hitting on the girls in the group and were getting kind of aggressive. So one of the guys in the group said something like, "time to move along." And like on cue, a car pulled up and some other dudes got out and all of them just started beating the shit out of my friend. People were walking by, doing nothing. And then apparently they had difficulty getting treatment at a hospital.

Just sayin'.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:42 pm »

Oh, defintily.  The stampede is especially bad for redneck bullshit.  It's like all Brokeback Mountin out there.  Not much gun crime though. 

Then again, I live in the murder capitol of our country in a violent neighbourhood with a gang house and a drug dealer across the street, so it's not like everywhere in Canada is the socialist utopia us Canadians would like you to imagine.  Still though, I have no interest in having a gun.  I don't think it would improve my situation in any way.  Mostly I just avoid people and keep to myself and that seems to be working.

I was watching a depressing doccumentary on faith healers in the US last night, and these two adult sisters had taken their mom there to have someone pray over her because they'd run out of money for her chemotherapy.  That never happens in Canada. You never even see a bill or have any idea what medical treatments cost here, you just keep going with medical treatments until you bet better or your body stops or you draw the line.  I like that.  I'm glad money never comes into play with these issues.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »

I don't know the situation you're talking about, but could you be talking about a shitty asshole doctor, not a systemic problem?  Mammograms are easy to get, with zero wait time around my parts. 

I've never had a doctor refuse a test, or ever had any sense that any of my concerns, or my family's concerns, or client concerns when I worked at the HIV clinic be dismissed for any reason related to cost.  I did have a long wait when I wanted to see a psychiatrist, and have had other problems related to helping people through my work related to the mental health system, which is definitively overwhelmed.

All I know is that in the medical system people are triaged and I've yet to experience or hear of any significant numbers of patients in urgent need of care not getting what they need.  I know they trot out the rare case of such a thing occurring and sometimes exaggerate the situation in the American media though, as a means of instigating fear in the masses.  There was a case like that about a year ago where the American conservative news got a hold of some woman claiming she wasn't getting treatment.  I wish I could remember the specifics.  It was all over the news in Canada because of how distorted the story was, the lack of research the journalists had done, and what a lack of understanding of the Canadian medical system it showed.  There was a news documentary made about the patient where they approached multiple doctors in that patient's vicinity, and all of them would have been open and ready to give her the tests and treatment she needed.  I seem to recall they had the lady admit on camera that she had exaggerated the situation (at the urging of the journalists) and been paid to do so. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »

You didn't answer my question though - is it possible she had a shitty asshole doctor?  What you describe is so outside my experience.  I'm not talking around here, I'm describing a reality totally different to the minimal details your presenting.  Educate me Ash-man!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »

It happened exactly as I stated to my sis-in-law. Quit trying to talk around it, it happens.

Wow.  So your second-hand anecdotal evidence counts, but Mel's personal anecdotal evidence does not?

I can give you plenty of anecdotal accounts of how people have been horribly screwed by our fucked up healthcare system too.  What of it?

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »

Goddamnit people, I was trying to start a flame war about gun control, not healthcare. Stay on track.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:10:35 pm »

I was watching a depressing documentary on faith healers in the US last night, and these two adult sisters had taken their mom there to have someone pray over her because they'd run out of money for her chemotherapy.  That never happens in Canada. You never even see a bill or have any idea what medical treatments cost here, you just keep going with medical treatments until you bet better or your body stops or you draw the line.  I like that.  I'm glad money never comes into play with these issues.

I think what it is that Ash missed that I was talking about something totally different than what he's on about:  I'm saying that once you are diagnosed with and in treatment for something, there is no point where someone will say "sorry, we are no longer funding the treatment of your illness."  That never happens.  I know this because I worked in an HIV clinic where people, often very marginalized people who some might say have little value in society, received state of the art, client centred treatment as needed and without hesitation.  

What Ash is pointing to is a problem his sister-in-law experienced with triage in Canada.  His sister-in-law was told she would need to wait a terribly long time for a test that is awfully scary to wait even a week for, never mind six months for.    I never said, nor would I ever say that this doesn't happen.  I still say a shitty doctor is likely at the core of this, because you don't simply get put in a cue to wait for a mammogram in Canada.  It's not flat out "sorry you will wait six months regardless of your situation."  A medical professional looks at your situation and places you at a point in the cue based on the severity and urgency of your case.  If a doctor south of the boarder says she needs a follow-up mammogram ASAP, and a doctor on the North side of the boarder says "no," then there is the shitty doctor in play here.  If this were a person who only had access to the Canadian medical system, the next step would be to go to another doctor, but since she had access to a doctor who could take care of it down south, that was likely the straightest point between two lines.  The CBC tells me that our wait times are longer for somethings, but around the same for others, and it varies province to province too.

The benefit of the US medical system is that you can find someone who will take your money to do whatever test you want done to yourself, regardless of what they judge the urgency to be, where as here, you can find client centred health care facilities who do work mostly that way, or you can go to mainstream GP's where you need to be more aggressive in your self-advocacy if you want something the medical professional you're working with doesn't think is essential.  You've got to insist or even switch doctors.  I have a fairly shitty GP, but he is fast and loose then it comes to testing and referrals to specialists.  When I had my own cancer scare, it was tests up the wazoo at a rapid pace.  Still though, I would much rather be with a client centred clinic and called to switch to the nearest client-centred facility that functions that way.  The waiting list was over 400 people long, and they wouldn't even add me since I currently have a doctor.  Sadly there is no way I can pay my way in to such a clinic here.  There is a new client centred clinic that recently opened up, and I called and they were ready to sign me up for an intake.  I said I would call back because my hubby also wanted to switch.  I forgot about it for a week and and when I got around to it I learned they are full up and no longer taking new patients until another doctor joins their clinic in the New Year.  Needless to say, I will be calling again then.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:45:40 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:58 am »

And you missed my point.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Laughing Stock of Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »

This reminds me of a joke I heard recently:

How do you get a hundred Canadians to get out of the pool?

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
You ask them to get out of the pool.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up