Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye  (Read 3496 times)

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:44 pm »

Split from another thread, another time, another place.

Agreed.

JL, I appreciate a game store website that links their new arrivals to the BGG page. Just sayin'

Agreed with this and also with what JW said (which I somehow missed earlier, with all the talk about reptile sex and everything). We have a website, and it's not horribly outdated (except for the blog area). We keep the calendar current and all the pics are from the new space we moved into a couple of months ago -- but I feel like there is a lot of room to grow.

For instance, we don't have a "new arrivals" page AT ALL, and the "game library" section hard to find and a bit out of date. And the large scrolling graphic at the top with art from MtG cards is nice-looking, but has absolutely no function. The site was designed on the cheap (possibly free) by a store regular/college student/pseudo-employee/friend of the owner who serves as a volunteer technical jack-of-all-trades (because the owner is completely un-tech-savvy). I think we can do better, and I'm in a position to make it happen.

So, please -- peruse the site and tell me what needs to change. Let's crowdsource this bitch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:27:24 pm by jay-ell »
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

• Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 337
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
    • Rarely updated random quotes
Re: VIP Edition of Today I'm Gonna...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

The hours should be in the footer, especially since they're are non-standard. Do you charge to use the tables when there isn't a tourney? If not put that in the bullet about "open gaming space." Around here it's not unusual for a FLGS to charge for table time (usually with some kind of credit system. 1 hr/$10 spent is typical).

When you first stock an award winning game (like Village) that warrants its own news item.

Random idea: consider having an award-winning game night. Demo some Spiel/Orgins/etc winners from this and last year. Meetup shows me The Triangle Strategy Games Meetup Group. Contact them and see if your shop is big enough fro their meetups. If so see if they're willing to do something regular there.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 478
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:41:04 am »

I would not have bought Puerto Rico (my favorite game) if my friend who is the manager of a gaming store hadn't drunkenly dragged me to the store and shown me how it works.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:44:55 pm »

I would not have bought Puerto Rico (my favorite game) if my friend who is the manager of a gaming store hadn't drunkenly dragged me to the store and shown me how it works.

Have you played San Juan?

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

San Juan is one of my favorite games ever. I have only played PR a few times, but I play SJ every chance I get -- which isn't often, because the few friends who know how to play are tired of being beaten at it by me.

BFF and I just got approval to start a competitive tabletop gaming league at the store. We're offering prizes starting at $10 store credit and increasing based on the number of partici#####. We're running two tournaments at a time, asynchronously (so you come and play three or six games, depending on whether you signed up for one or both tournies, any time that works for you and your assigned opponents during a six-week period.) There's a $3 entry fee, or $5 for both tournaments, which will allow for prize support with as few as four competitors. Our September/October games are Ticket to Ride (USA) and Carcassone, because we think those are so well-known they border on mainstream and will draw in a large crowd.

We're also demoing the tournament games at the beginning of the play period so that people who may not know how to play one or both games can try it out before signing up. We're trying to draw in people who already know a lot of games but want to meet new people to play them with, and also people who are looking to learn new and unusual games. They are distinct groups, but they work well together.

I am seriously considering running Puerto Rico and San Juan for the November/December tournament. My BFF and my boss both want to run a Settlers tourney, but I'm one of the four people on Earth who doesn't really care for Settlers much. Plus, it requires 3-person pods, and that's more difficult, logistically. Regardless, it mainly depends on if there are any important new releases out. One reason we chose TTR for September is to help promote the Asia expansion that came out last month.

We're also increasing our stock of the league games and offering a 25% discount off list price on them for the duration of the tournament. I think it will really drive sales. Magic: the Gathering is our bread and butter, but we have a huge amount of retail space devoted to tabletop gaming and Eurogaming is really becoming popular among twenty- and thirty-somethings right now. We need to move our stock, and the best way to do that is to create a community of store regulars who boardgame. We have that with MtG and, to a lesser extent, the Warhammer crowd, but there is very little cross-pollination from those groups. Whereas boardgamers (especially Gamers of a Certain Age) are more likely to play Warhammer, MtG, card games, and RPGs as well.

If this takes off, we may run three tournaments in Jan/Feb and start a junior league for kids 8 - 14. Or we may cut it down to one game at a time and cut the play period down to three weeks. It depends what kinds of feedback we get. But I am really excited about it (can you tell?) and welcome any suggestions you guys have.

I love all the ideas you are giving me and don't have time to reply to them individually right now, but I will print them out and take them to my BFF for further discussion. We are also considering starting a periodic event (Quarterly?) for local indie game developers to meet, share ideas, and play-test each others' games. This would be with an eye toward eventually carrying some copies of locally-produced, self-published games in the store, if I can sell my boss on the idea. (I think he'll be down if he feels like the copies will move; I'm 95% certain he would be willing to take them on a consignment basis.) So if you guys have any suggestions for that I'll take those as well.

Should we split this thread and put it up in the main forum area?

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 636
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »

I would be pleased if this were split so I would know not to read it like all the other threads about games people play.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

• VIP
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:55:48 pm »

TTR = Ticket to Ride?  My wife and I stumbled across that one recently.  Its a really good game with an intriguing amount of subtlety. 
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:08:08 pm »

Man, some people are into some crazy ass board games these days, I guess.

This makes me feel weirdly old, like when people are talking about their Medal of this and their Guitar that and I'm all...

"Man, I sure liked the F-Zero on the Super Nintendo. Do the kids still play F-Zero?"
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:22 pm »

I would be pleased if this were split so I would know not to read it like all the other threads about games people play.

Done.

TTR = Ticket to Ride?  My wife and I stumbled across that one recently.  Its a really good game with an intriguing amount of subtlety. 

Yes! I love how quick it is to learn, and straightfoward enough that even an 8-year-old can play, but that it's never easy. There is an iPhone/iPad version that is pretty amazing as well.

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:38:49 pm »

To address these quickly --

Do you charge to use the tables when there isn't a tourney?

When you first stock an award winning game (like Village) that warrants its own news item.

Random idea: consider having an award-winning game night. Demo some Spiel/Orgins/etc winners from this and last year. Meetup shows me The Triangle Strategy Games Meetup Group. Contact them and see if your shop is big enough fro their meetups. If so see if they're willing to do something regular there.

1) No, we don't, but no game store around here does. We should still advertise it, though. We pay for the open play space by selling drinks and snacks on the side. Most regulars will buy a drink from us as a way of "paying dues," so we don't feel a need to charge.

2) We are just setting up "new arrivals" and "upcoming releases" flyers on the bulletin board, and I plan to re-merchandise the frontmost shelving units to showcase new releases. It will be simple to add this to the website via blogging software. Good idea. Do you know of a website (other than BGG) that serves as a clearinghouse for new and upcoming release info on boardgames? It's easy to find that info for video games, but boardgame manufacturers seem really reluctant to give out and/or stick to street dates, it's frustrating.

3) That is a fantastic idea. We may have some regulars that are part of the group, and we definitely have enough space -- we have a dozen 6' buffet tables in our game room, with plenty of room to walk around in between. Plus we have two private rooms with two six-foot tables in each. We have more play space than retail space, it's awesome. I will get in touch with them ASAP.

CortJstr

• View Profile
Re: It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »

The only thing that springs to mind is one of your competitors. The bottom of the Thought Hammer home page lists all the upcoming games by estimated street date. Though games rarely actually come out on their street dates.

I know in my board game meetup the biggest challenge is finding space. Maybe things are different there but we have to book library meeting rooms two months in advance and pay $65/day to use them (when they aren't booked solid). Somebody offering us free space would be fantastic.

And to go back, most people I know can't stand Settlers. I know one guy who will only play if he's trying to use it as a gateway game for somebody who's heard of it but not much else. Of course he also spent 40 minutes telling me how much he hates Cards Against Humanity.

sMets, these games are better than the Sorry/Monopoly/Life that we grew up with. The person who plays better is much more likely to win than the person who roles the dice well. And they're typically designed so that all the players are still in the game (or at least think they are) until the end. So you don't get that Monopoly Syndrome where one person is clearly going to lose it just takes another hour for it to happen then the remaining 3 players keep going for another 2 hours.

I really prefer the worker placement games. In most classic games you either have 0 or 1 options (I rolled 5, I must move 5 vs. I can buy the property or not). In something like Agricola you have 6 things you really want to do but have to pick just one each round (I want to expand my farm but I also need to build fences and if I don't take that clay I know John will and those 2 boars are really tempting but ...)

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »

Evidently some of these games I've never heard of can be played for free online? http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9209/ticket-to-ride
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »

Done.

But then you go and make the thread title so intriguing that I can't help clicking anyway.

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:33 pm »

and those 2 boars are really tempting but ...)

See and now you are making it sound interesting too dammit.

littlefallsmets

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »

I was always more of a Scrabble/Boggle guy, really. Stratego, if you can find a person who'll take it seriously.

Risk is fun but all that dice rolling is fuck*ng tedious.
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up