Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skits, oh yes, skits...  (Read 6969 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 03:39:35 pm »

The terminology isn't the only issue. If your kids' "tribe names" make Smells want to throw up, there's still a problem.

Why not pretend to be Jedi? Or ancient Romans, or knights of the Round Table? There are plenty of alternatives that wouldn't leave people squirming to come up with justifications.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »

I don't know, Wombles. If there were a national organization of Padawan Learners out there, you can bet your bottom dollar we'd be in on it. But for whatever reason -- I guess because of what popular culture was like in the 1950s, when these groups were founded? -- there are no such things available. And nobody I know (who has kids) has time to start one.

Also, probably George Lucas would sue the ever loving shit out of anyone who tried to use the Jedi name for such purposes. Probably.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »

Also, I do want to point out, for the record, that this thread making Smells want to throw up makes me want to throw up. I hate the idea that by participating in this group we may be offending her. But I honestly do feel that the connection between the modern Y guides and its stereotyped roots are so tenuous that the benefits to my kid far outweigh the drawbacks.

The old "Indian guides" terminology keeps slipping out, because I am of That Generation and old habits die hard, but I know that you all understand that no malice is intended and that I know the difference between fiction and reality. I think this thread has shown me, however, that I need to make sure that my kids grow up knowing the difference, too. And in an area where the aboriginal people are multiracial and highly assimilated, maybe that's even more important -- because the NC Lumbee don't have a reservation, much more of their culture has been lost. Less prejudice, but also fewer ties to the past, fewer living examples of how a real tribe functions.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 04:28:41 pm »

Chemical Bomb, la la la la...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 04:54:17 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 06:12:22 pm »

OK then:

Skit the First: J.C. Penny.

One kid stands mid-stage.  Another comes onstage from the right carrying a shirt.  "Hey, nice shirt," says first kid, "where'd you get it?" 

"J.C. Penny," says kid 2.

Repeat several more times, with kids carrying #####, shoes, underdrawers and so forth, each time replying that they got their article of clothing from "J.C. Penny".

Finally a fellow dressed only in a towel (or a cardboard box, or the like) comes on stage in a panicked run, hollering and gesturing.  First kid stops him and says, "Hey, you can't be out here like that!  Who do you think you are?!"

"I'm J.C. Penny!!!"

Skit the Second: Polling for the Technocrats

Scene: Political pollster comes to the door asking questions of housewife who answers the door about newly formed "Technocrat" party.

"Madam, we'd like to know if you and your husband are members of the Technocrat party.  Are you a Technocrat?"

"No, I'm not a Technocrat."

"What about your husband, could I speak to him?"

"Sorry, he's not available right now."

"That's too bad, it'll really mess up my survey if I don't get answers from both of you."

"OK, hold on a minute", yells offstage "Hey Harvey, are you a Technocrat?"

Harvey (offstage): "What?"

"I SAID, ARE YOU A TECHNOCRAT?"

Harvey: "No, I'm taking a shower."

Hilarity ensues.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:16:22 pm by AugustWest »
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 12:27:59 am »

I admittedly skimmed most of the posts so pardon me if I just missed it, but Y Guides? What the fuck is that? What is the significance of Y?

Edit: Ah, YMCA.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 01:23:35 am »

I'm still trying to figure out the technocrat story.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

I'm still trying to figure out the technocrat story.

Parse technocrat as taking a crap.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:51 am »

I was trying, I just couldn't make it work...

I like the JC Penney one though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »

I was trying, I just couldn't make it work...


It's the actor's job to deliver the line with the proper accent, inflection and timing to make it work...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 02:43:57 pm »

This thread retroactively makes an episode of the Simpsons makes more sense. I thought they'd completely made up the Pre-Teen Braves.

My friend is putting his kid in Cub Scouts this year and apparently it's no longer a drop-off activity. Which seems to defeat the point to me.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »

I had a bunch of campers do this gag as a skit once, with a narrator.
http://www.jokesbykids.com/3286/kicks-are-for-t/
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Skits, oh yes, skits...
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 08:36:11 pm »

So is Little Bunny Foo-Foo/Hare Today, Goon Tomorrow too hackneyed for this or just the right amount of hackneyed? That's the only one I remember. (Well, that and J.C. Penney which was already posted.)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up