Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker  (Read 6959 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 07:30:19 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Combining cheap red wine and orange soda in a 1:1 ratio is something the Spaniards do, I'm told, and it tastes pretty not-bad.


What the spaniards do is mix fruit and orange liqueur with red wine to make sangria.  Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh I loves me some Sangria wine.

~Paul

SANGRIA

1 orange, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1/2 gallon red Burgundy
1/2 cup orange-flavored liqueur
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup brandy
1 quart club soda

Combine and marinate overnight the orange, lemon, sugar, red wine, liqueur and bay leaves. Add the brandy. Just before serving, add club soda and some ice.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

palm trees

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203
    • View Profile
Logged
[size=10]***DESTROY VINYL***[/size][/color]

The Bob Talbot

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 12:13:40 am »

You can put way more different types of fruit in it than that.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 01:15:14 am »

Paul, that recipe is sorely enticing, and I shall have to try it on one of those very rare occasions upon which I write a grocery list with an eye toward attempting and successfully completing a recipe. This one seems to more or less boil down to "leave shit sitting around; add ice", which even I am capable of handling. Probably.

Until then, I shall have to content myself with the boxed Sangria I bought yesterday, on a lark, at the supermarket. Yes, it exists; like the devil, it takes many forms, and presently one of them has manifested in a quite colorful, almost celebratory box on my kitchen counter. It really beats the whole this is Mexican theme down your throat with stylized pictures of sombreros and cacti and lawn mowers and such. "RED SANGRIA", declares the box in one of those freeware, proto-Taco Bell menu fonts. (White Sangria also exists - I don't know either)

I hadn't had sangria in a while, so I started off with a nice tall glass and it seemed pretty tasty. Tart and kicky; this is a flavor that could conceivably pull off a beret. In direct contrast to most cheap-n-potent drinks, this is actually less tolerable the further into your cups one gets. It got to the point where I said (inwardly) something along the lines of fuck this, I am going to get goddamned heartburn here but I am not leaving a perfectly good glass out for the ants. RED SANGRIA from the box was not tested for along-the-pecker performance by this reviewer.

It'll get you good and drunk, though. APPROVED
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 01:29:59 am »

Boxed Sangria. Truly, the Devil lies in many guises.

I had non-alcoholic sangria once. I recall it tasting not unpleasant but sort of underwhelming, like grape juice someone had soaked Juicyfruit in for a while. Odd.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 01:31:13 am »

How does the fruit fit through the tiny spout?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2004, 01:50:08 am »

There's sangria flavored soda too.  Tastes like grape soda that has something wrong with it.  Like it has something like artificial wine flavoring in it.

(Hi, The Bob!  Glad to see you won't get deleted.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2004, 01:56:01 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
There's sangria flavored soda too.  Tastes like grape soda that has something wrong with it.  Like it has something like artificial wine flavoring in it.

I think this is what I actually had, come to think of it. I'm quite sure what I had was carbonated, which seemed fundamentally wrong for something wine-flavored.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2004, 02:35:06 am »

Maybe Ray was drinking a carbonated martini!
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2004, 02:58:15 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
Maybe Ray was drinking a carbonated martini!


Spritza would make sense. Either that or he's just mildly tanked, hence he failed to get the things Beef was saying.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 03:35:13 am »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm quite sure what I had was carbonated, which seemed fundamentally wrong for something wine-flavored.


The sangria I've had that wasn't cut-rate and assy wasn't carbonated, exactly, but it didn't produce that same sort of sizzly feeling on the tongue that you might expect from a soda that's been sitting out a minute or two. As wrong as that seems, it actually compliments the flavor very nicely (see above as re Paul's addition of club soda to the final product) and is one of my favorite things about drinking sangria.

I've always gotten the best mileage out of the Big Glass Jug of Carlo Rossi sangria. I don't have the cash to be any more flashy or adventurous than that, although if anyone has any Top Shelf recommendations, I'm all ears. For, you know, the next time I want to impress someone within a vaguely Mexican context and don't want to have to rely upon flash-in-the-pan, faddish methods such as "erudition" and "charm".
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 03:52:00 am »

Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 03:58:19 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

keef

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 54
    • View Profile
    • http://www.keef.org
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 05:19:55 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Until then, I shall have to content myself with the boxed Sangria I bought yesterday...

It'll get you good and drunk, though. APPROVED


Did you get this at like a Safeway?  We have Fiesta supermarkets here in Houston.  I would like to try a thing such as this.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Pouring Wine Along One's Pecker
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 06:15:08 pm »

The best Sangria I ever had was at a Tapas restaurant in Evanston, Illinois. The best ones I have had were fortified with a stronger wine/liquor - I've seen recipes with a few shots of bacardi or vermouth mixed in - but I prefer adding a nice, rich Port or a Brandy to it. Definitely adds character. Paul's recipe looks pretty good.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up