Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving Thanks  (Read 5138 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Giving Thanks
« on: November 21, 2012, 03:17:27 am »

This is a thread for giving thanks. We all have so much to give thanks for.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:13 am »

i hate retail.  i hate my job.  i hate that my job will not give me FT hours.  none of that compares to how VERY thankful i am for a job in an area with very few good opportunities for employment.  i can pay my bills, put a bit into savings, AND i have a small bit of disposable dollars at the end.

i am thankful to have a wonderful lady.  she is nigh unto mary poppins(practically perfect in every way).
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

"We Sufi have a kind of prayer for times like this. No matter what the Creator hands you, be it a hundred dollars or two broken legs, you smile as broadly as you can and say Thank You Sir, May I Have Another? And you laugh."


-- Jihad over Innsmouth, Edward Morris
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

I'm thankful that I'm getting to do exactly what I want with my life and so far no one has wised up enough to try and stop me. I also have loving, generous and wonderful family and friends that have enabled me to do this. Cheesy, but most good stuff is I guess.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »

Deja, that is great, I may have to steal that. I am thankful you guys are still around after all these years.

I am thankful that no one's head has exploded lately and my 13 year old dog is still with me. I am thankful that despite my apparent total inability to earn a living, my artistic patron is still hanging in there, and also just got a new job that will hopefully make him more cheerful about the situation. I am thankful that I haven't given up hope - does that even make sense?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »

I am thankful that I haven't given up hope - does that even make sense?

Yes, it absolutely does.

I am thankful for our local school system, which seems to be doing a pretty good job. I am thankful for a work situation that may not be ideal, but could be a whole lot worse, and allows me to provide for my family in a way that would have been absolutely inconceivable 20 years ago. I am thankful for a wife who keeps our family operational and puts up with my crazy crap, and two kids who never cease to amaze me. I am thankful for breakfast burritos. And I am thankful for friends, both real and virtual, with whom I can talk about pretty much anything without fear of judgment.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »

I am thankful my brother's health is slowly improving out in Cali.

I am thankful my parents are alive & kicking & were kind enough to take me in in the midst of the storm that my life has been lately. Ditto for my extended family & their help, grammas & stuff.

I am thankful for my friends who've been supportive of my writing, you girls and guys included, to the extent that I've been able to do it in the mental state I've been in.

I have a lot less to be thankful for this year but I am much more thankful for the things that I do have.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:36:14 pm »

I am thankful for so many things too innumerable to mention.

I am especially thankful for the continued health and well being of my parents. My father had a stroke a few months ago, but he seems to be recovering fine. He was running a construction project from the intensive care ward if that's any indication of his determination.

I am thankful for my own continued good health. Despite the odds, considering my fat ass and my advanced age, I continue to be remarkably healthy.

I am thankful for the opportunities to travel that have allowed me to see this great country and meet several of you fine people this past summer.

I am thankful for the community of friends who have welcomed me into their lives.

I am thankful that I am able to do work that I love to do and very thankful that business has finally started to pick up a little bit for me.

And I am super thankful that I have a friend who likes my photography so much they bought me a new $6000 dollar camera rig this morning. I can't hardly believe it. Those of you who I met this summer know how frustrated I've been since my previous camera died back in May.

And I am thankful for the continued existence of this message board. TOUAMB, it's my anti Facebook. Love you all!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »

And I am super thankful that I have a friend who likes my photography so much they bought me a new $6000 dollar camera rig this morning. I can't hardly believe it.

I am thankful for this too. This is basically a public service.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:47:39 am »

I am thankful that I am able to do work that I love to do(...)

I wish I could say that one day, but that's very unlikely...

TOUAMB, it's my anti Facebook.

Proclaim!

As much as I despise Facebook, feel free to add me there! (not even sure if the link will work but)  http://www.facebook.com/elton.mesquita.54
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:07:28 am »

I'm thankful that I finally got to visit my family in the Northeast this year, after 8 years or so.

... for landing a nice gig for once in my life, even if the final product doesn't see the light of day (publishers, right)

... for potentially being in a more stable financial situation (still have to wait a bit and see how that one pans out)

... for being consistently healthy, despite a few chinks & dents

... for (hopefully) becoming a less bitchy-bitch man (it's taking longer than we thought)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:12:06 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:08:16 pm »

...that my in-laws are so excited about all their grandkids playing together, they'll put us up in a hotel for a week.
...and that my kids get along so well with their cousins.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »

For:

-- My family and their continued health and success.
-- My health.
-- My friends.
-- You guys.
-- My job.
-- Four more years.
-- Jasmine Green Tea.
-- Earl Scruggs.
-- Adventure Time.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 01:26:52 am »

Lester Flatts or stabs mofo!

Aw, he combs his hair with possum fat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 11:31:48 am »

lubricious

i am thankful for that word.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up