I'm a jerk and I would probably just put masking tape over it then use a sharpie and write "Tragic" on it with an arrow pointing at the saddest of eyes.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but my dog, Morty, has recently decided he likes to go into my work bag, but only when no one is around. I used to always carry an apple in my bag, just to have something to munch on. This never interested him, so for at least two years, I would always have an apple in my bag (unless I had taken it out and eaten it, but hadn't gotten around to replacing it), and never really think about it. Then one day I came home and my bag was lying on it's side and the paper towel I wrapped the apple in and the stem were all that was left. Morty had eaten my apple. The entire thing. So I stopped leaving apples in my bag, and I would instead leave them on my desk at work, but this caused the animals brain to decide bags =good things to eat in side. First I would come and find the contents of my bag pulled out and scattered on the floor (nothing harmed though). My husband left his lunch bag sitting out (again, never used to be an issue) and Morty got in there at ate some almonds and a pudding cup. I put a banana in my bag once about ten minutes before leaving in the morning recently and ran upstairs to get something, came down, like 5 minutes later, and there was a torn up bannana peel on the rug and a dog trying to look non-chalant. So I decided, okay, no food whatsoever in my work bag (it's like a portable file bag, way too heavy to hang up). I came home last week and he had gotten out the inner zip lock bag I had in there that contained sexual health education pamplets and condoms. Thankfully he has a clear understanding of food vs non-food stuffs, so the flavoured condoms had been tested, but not eaten.