Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Undefeated Bridge  (Read 6073 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Undefeated Bridge
« on: November 27, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

Have you passed under this bridge JL?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:45 pm »

The first Ryder driver was all, "Can't stop now, I've got places to be."

I'll bet 90% of those drivers didn't even see the height warning (inattentive, the signage is fine), and the remainder (jury-rigged pickup, rental trucks) didn't think about the clearance their rig required.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:13 pm »

I opened this thread expecting Omar Sharif or Charles Goren.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:18:02 pm »

I'm just glad we haven't started playing contract bridge.  Come on people.  We are not that old yet.  
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:50:01 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:25 pm »

While discussing this bridge on Facebook we began speculating on how they could make it safer. Someone suggested that they should put a warning line across the road, with something non rigid like chains hanging down and a sign that says if you hit these chains you will hit the bridge.

Instead they have installed a huge I-beam in front of the bridge. That's what those trucks are actually hitting, not the bridge itself. It's kinda the opposite approach, it's daring trucks to run into it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:07 am »

I'm just glad we haven't started playing contractr bridge.  Come on people.  We are not that old yet. 

I used to play contract bridge, 15 years ago.  But I grew out of it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:25 am »

Hey, I am so late to this party! I have probably driven under this bridge at some point but I don't venture into Durham much so I can't say for sure.

We do have an unusually low-clearance parking deck in Raleigh that has a warning beam in front of it (not a heavy I-beam but just such as a heavy aluminum beam a good few yards from the actual entrance). That seems safer to me.

If I ever do encounter this bridge, though, I will be sure to think of you as I drive under it in my decidedly-shorter-than-11'8" minivan.

My favorite was the truck full of construction materials that was being followed by another similarly loaded truck, who saw his buddy nail the I-beam and then decided to try it anyway.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33:06 am »

That was totally the best and also I think hay.  I only know this cause I've made and transported hay.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:27 pm »

I used to play contract bridge, 15 years ago.  But I grew out of it.

Were you taught by a grandparent?  The only people I've ever known to play contract bridge were large groups of elderly people (mostly in care homes) and this one friend who liked to think of himself as a genius, but mostly was just a guy who got off on feeling superior due to knowing a lot about things most people didn't know much about.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:12:11 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

There's something so satisfying about the ones where the top is peeled back like the bridge is opening a can of sardines.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »

I knew how to play bridge briefly when I was in high school, when we had a week of mini-courses on any topics the students wanted. It is a complete mystery to me at this point why anyone wanted to take or teach such a thing, nor why I took it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »

Were you taught by a grandparent?  The only people I've ever known to play contract bridge were large groups of elderly people (mostly in care homes) and this one friend who liked to think of himself as a genius, but mostly was just a guy who got off on feeling superior due to knowing a lot about things most people didn't know much about.

I was taught by my Grandmother and my parents.  I think bridge was very very popular during the 40s and 50s, so there's a very definite, aging, demographic where it's very prevalent.

We had group of 4 lawyers who.  We met once a week and played at each others houses.  It was fun.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »

I'm sure I've said this before, but my racist republican (alcoholic) grandfather taught me how to play dominos when I was about 15.  By the time I was 20 I was using my domino skills to get free cocaine and fit in in a largely black crack/coke house.

Thanks grandpa?  I don't think he woulda liked it, but I had a good time.  See, me and the homeowner would be on a team and as long as we kept winning and beating his friends the blow kept coming.  I don't lose ever (I am saying I am crazy competitive, not that I don't actually lose) especially not all pumped up like that, so it worked out nicely.  Also, the world is a complex place so I can love my granddad and also think he was a racist asshole who I got back at (just a little) by using what he taught me to make the world a slightly less segregated place.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »

I used to play dominoes with the guys in the warehouse during lunch break. The black guys were far and away the best players.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:55 pm »

That shit was fun. You just had to be able to deal with smack talk, noise and people threatening your motherfuck*ng life. Good damn times.

Thanks for that story. Stories like this are why I'm so obsessed with games. Little simulations of life that make your real life more valuable.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up