Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Undefeated Bridge  (Read 6082 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:53 pm »

While discussing this bridge on Facebook we began speculating on how they could make it safer. Someone suggested that they should put a warning line across the road, with something non rigid like chains hanging down and a sign that says if you hit these chains you will hit the bridge.

Instead they have installed a huge I-beam in front of the bridge. That's what those trucks are actually hitting, not the bridge itself. It's kinda the opposite approach, it's daring trucks to run into it.
Doesn't the I-beam protect the bridge itself, though? The chains would only if they were heeded.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 11:37:14 pm »

Doesn't the I-beam protect the bridge itself, though? The chains would only if they were heeded.

That's true, though I'm not suggesting they remove the beam. But really, if you hit the chains would you still try the bridge?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Undefeated Bridge
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 05:34:55 am »

That's true, though I'm not suggesting they remove the beam. But really, if you hit the chains would you still try the bridge?


A couple of those dudes probably would.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up