Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Posters TOUAMBies want  (Read 8986 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Posters TOUAMBies want
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:50:55 am »

Apropos of the detour in the TIG thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what images we would like to have for hanging on the wall.
We have to wear ID badges that double as security keys at my workplace.  This image makes me smile


It reminds me of Matthew Perry - and considering he voiced Benny in the game, maybe this is an Easter egg?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »

Here's the one I mentioned elsewhere. Can't find an embeddable image. Why does the movie industry not want to monetize this?
http://pinterest.com/pin/112801165638405503/
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »

Oh, and here is a place to say that I lately bought this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oingo-Boingo-Original-Concert-Poster-Irvine-Meadows-/170464540169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b07a7609
to remind me of how I wasted my youth, or at least the 90s. It would be shame not to mention this so Ash can enjoy telling me that he was at these concerts.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:50:21 pm »

sigh

At least there are bootleg videos on YouTube, at least the ones a person remembers to download before they get taken down.

There's another thread we could start: When they invent time travel, where's the first place you'll go?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:53:30 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

There's another thread we could start: When they invent time travel, where's the first place you'll go?

Do we have to do the necessary shit, like kill Hitler or can we have some fun?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »

I think that unless you have some special skill that makes you the best person to kill Hitler, then you can just have some fun.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »

I ain't going anywhere past whenever it was good dental anesthetics became a thing.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:11:36 pm »

I think that unless you have some special skill that makes you the best person to kill Hitler, then you can just have some fun.

Well yeah, my special skill is that I have a time machine. But would seeing the Beatles play in Hamburg be the same if Hitler never existed? Quandary.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:28 pm »

I ain't going anywhere past whenever it was good dental anesthetics became a thing.

Just go back to the future whenever you need dental work.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:53:43 pm »

Well yeah, my special skill is that I have a time machine. But would seeing the Beatles play in Hamburg be the same if Hitler never existed? Quandary.

Ash is probably a good enough shot to take Hitler out. Would you be, or would you just be wasting your time?

We could say everyone gets two trips: one to do a good deed and one for fun as a reward. Still, I think it has to be a good deed you can really do and this raises all kinds of questions. Can I say "I'd go back and save the thylacine from extinction" when I can't be sure I would be successful? Is that just a way to get to see some thylacines and then also see Oingo Boingo in concert?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:29:22 pm »

Back on topic, this is my favorite poster from the Fallout games:



I would pay some amount of money to have that on my wall, yeah. Or a t-shirt -- which is really just a poster for your body.

As for the time machine question, I think I would prefer to skip the grand gesture for my good deed in favor of a Quantum Leap-style "put right what once went wrong" kind of deal. But that assumes you've got someone clueing you in on the Divine Plan, and with my credentials that doesn't seem terribly likely.

For a fun thing, I would love to go back and see Led Zeppelin in concert. But there are many more Historically Important Things I'd like to see and do. For instance, I'd like to go back to around 1954 to see Sputnik in orbit and tell Joe McCarthy he's an asshole. I'd like to tour the South with the freedom riders in the summer of '61. I'd like to be in Dallas on November 22, 1963 to see if there really was anybody hanging out in the grassy knoll. (I wouldn't prevent the assassination, though, because of the butterfly theory -- step on a butterfly in 1922 and come home to a horrible dystopian society where everyone you love never existed.) So ideally I'd like to go back to sometime in the early 1950s and live through to the present day, but without ever getting any older.

Would I prevent 9/11? That's a harder question. Closer to home. Would it destroy the universe if I let the terrorists attack but made sure the buildings were evacuated first?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:12 pm »

See, this is why I think everyone just gets to go back and do something fun. You can't predict whether you're actually going to make things worse. But seeing a concert or going to the zoo with the last thylacine is pretty safe.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:11 pm »

Is the fact that bad things happened in history and continue to happen proof that we will never invent time travel?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »

Is the fact that bad things happened in history and continue to happen proof that we will never invent time travel?

No - because people could have gone back and screwed things up worse! My point exactly!

PS sorry jaydub what I did to your poster thread.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Posters TOUAMBies want
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »

Its TOUAMB.  If I didn't expect near instantaneous thread wander I would have posted on FARK or something.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up