Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: the War on Christmas rages on  (Read 7477 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:10 am »

If it's the only holiday celebrated, that message doesn't seem subtle at all.

This but also the other post Wombat made. There's got to be a balance between acknowledging that much of western history and culture is christian history and culture while also being clear that it's hardly the only option. Not sure anyone is striking it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:21 pm »

Christian-centrism is often an extension of Eurocentrism in schools, though. Sure, let the kids sing Christmas music at Christmastime. Nobody wants to miss out on The Messiah. But include music, art, and literature of other traditions on their important holidays. Where are the Chinese New Year parades up in this piece? How many schools offer Seder break? (Spring breaks that coincide with Easter decidedly Do Not Count.) Why don't we celebrate the end of Ramadan with as much aplomb as the end of Lent? (ProTip: Just because you didn't fast for 40 days doesn't mean you can't show your titties.) What else am I missing? I don't even know, because I went to public school in America.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »

(...)acknowledging that much of western history and culture is christian history and culture.

Delicious point.

Quote
There are these two young giraffe swimming along and they happen to meet an older giraffe swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young giraffe swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the hell is water?"

Christianity is the water in that anecdote. No adult could possibly be psychologically functional resetting all his past experiences and making do with only, say, the last three years worth of memories. Unfortunately that's pretty much the situation the Western world finds itself in, glibly choosing to ignore (or to treat with temerarious levity based on shoddy historical revisionism, which amounts to the same) 2.000 years of formative history and focusing only in the last, say, 300 years. Therein lies collective neurosis. I think it was Ortega y Gasset who said something like "The well-formed man is a compendium of the past". It's not "not respecting/acknowledging/complying with Christian traditions" that irks me. It's when I start seeing ignorance being used as a point of view that I really have to go gnaw on something while thinking pretty thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:31:59 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »

Christianity is the water in that anecdote. No adult could possibly be psychologically functional resetting all his past experiences and making do with only, say, the last three years worth of memories. Unfortunately that's pretty much the situation the Western world finds itself in, glibly choosing to ignore (or to treat with temerarious levity based on shoddy historical revisionism, which amounts to the same) 2.000 years of formative history and focusing only in the last, say, 300 years. Therein lies collective neurosis. I think it was Ortega y Gasset who said something like "The well-formed man is a compendium of the past". It's not "not respecting/acknowledging/complying with Christian traditions" that irks me. It's when I start seeing ignorance being used as a point of view that I really have to go gnaw on something while thinking pretty thoughts.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying, would you be so kind as to explain it to me please?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:49 am »

What Paul said.

What worries Me is the solution that ends with a bunch of teachers teaching kids half-assed holiday songs in languages none of them speak, so that they will be allowed to do their Christmas pageant.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23:32 am »

Well the Mozart Requiem was in a language none of the teachers spoke either, so I'm not sure that's a problem in and of itself.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 04:33:14 am »

I just imagine it turning into this. Which has always made me feel super weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 06:49:02 am »

I attended my 4 year old niece's Christmas program last month. It was at a Catholic school she's not at all affiliated with and most of the kids were Mormon. She was really adorable. And a lot bigger than the other kids in her group, but she's always been small for her age. I commented on this to my sister and I guess the rest of them were 3 years old.

I have nothing else to add, but I am really enjoying all of your thoughtful and intelligent posts on this issue.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: the War on Christmas rages on
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying, would you be so kind as to explain it to me please?

This is not code language. Nothing else I could say would make more sense given whats being discussed. But if you can be more specific, that would help.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up