Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's comic (08-04-03)  (Read 12288 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Today's comic (08-04-03)
« on: August 04, 2003, 02:14:40 pm »

Well folks, that was... umm... less funny than the one he ran on the 30th with the slogan shirts.. C'mon Chris! I live in Virginia Beach, I've been to the shops on Atlantic avenue and they've got 1000's of funnier slogan iron on things for shirts. Even the Walgreens have 3 T-Shirts for $10 that have funnier sayings on them! Hell it'd be funnier if beef had a shirt with a peachy colored sunset and seagulls printed on his shirt. Let's hope Onstad just had a good(bad?)weekend. :roll:

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:04:50 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 02:49:21 pm »

Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...

I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?

At least put the date the strip ran, man.

Thak

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 02:57:10 pm »

Its not really bad or anything.

Love the drawing of Roast Beef in the final frame though.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 03:07:14 pm »

I'm all in favor of today's (8/4) comic.  Especially the last two panels.  

"Plus I got Depression" with Teodor's eyebrows and crossed arms, followed by a truly evocative drawing of Beef's despair and frustration with himself.

I am so there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 03:45:47 pm »

I edited the title to include the date.  Now let's all move on.  

I was amused.  "I am the guy who sucks..plus I got depression" is a fantastic t-shirt to buy for the guy in your life who is depressed and also sucks.  

Also, Beef's fidgeting is brilliant.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

The Wonderous Me

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Sheesh
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 04:49:32 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...

I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?

At least put the date the strip ran, man.

I thought I was picky!! Sheesh. The title today's comic is appropriate when the left most column shows my original post date. If you're wanna argue let's argue about the content of my message not the subjective subject :D (Ok, I was not asking for an argument with that statement, just, oh, nevermind I'm sure I'm in trouble for saying this much).
Logged

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 04:51:16 pm »

shit... guys.  that comic was horrible.  he just reused the same panels from last week.  it doesn't bode well.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 04:55:14 pm »

login: admin
pass: ***********************

Last login: 04 August 2003 05:34:34

csh> sql_db_select 'achewood';
csh> openTable 'userList';
csh> ban user 'The Wonderous Me' -archive 0 -deletePosts 1;
DELETE user 'The Wonderous Me'?
csh> y
User 'The Wonderous Me' deleted.  1 row(s) affected.
csh> logoff
Goodbye!

-end of session-

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2003, 04:59:47 pm »

Quote from: "yahnai"
shit... guys.  that comic was horrible.  he just reused the same panels from last week.  it doesn't bode well.


He always re-uses panels.  He hasn't drawn an original element since the Subway series.  

(I know that's not true.  I know this.  Please don't list all the original elements he's drawn since the Subway series, including last Friday's teen Phillipe.  My heart couldn't take it.)  

The point is, he always re-uses panels.  But both "Saddest thing" strips were funny, no?  (All 3, if you include the "outtakes" gag.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2003, 05:40:31 pm »

Stoopd Hed

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Ok.. that parody is hilarious
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2003, 06:00:34 pm »

I'm not bein' sarcastic, its really terribly funny, heh. Anyone know if onstad reads this?
Logged
"Evan-

What about the 2001 bill?"

-E. Rynda

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2003, 07:14:31 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "yahnai"
shit... guys.  that comic was horrible.  he just reused the same panels from last week.  it doesn't bode well.


He always re-uses panels.  He hasn't drawn an original element since the Subway series.  

(I know that's not true.  I know this.  Please don't list all the original elements he's drawn since the Subway series, including last Friday's teen Phillipe.  My heart couldn't take it.)  

The point is, he always re-uses panels.  But both "Saddest thing" strips were funny, no?  (All 3, if you include the "outtakes" gag.)


Yeah, no, I'm not disagreeing.  But it was so blatant... and not funny today!  "The Saddest Thing" was funny... so it didn't strike me as so--so--ah... recycled?  Know what I mean?

Was just IM'ing my friend at work, coincidentally, he's re-reading the Achewood archives.  So funny.  Teodor's party.  Now I gotta reread that.  I hope that with (no offense to present company) the messageboard out of his mind, his material will start perking up.

Or, shit, maybe he got a real job, and doens't have time anymore.
Logged

ferocious j

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • View Profile
    • http://automatedredemption.com/flavorcountry/
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2003, 07:53:09 pm »

Are you people allergic to funny or something?
Logged
I step to the mic like a Jedi knight
I'm all "off with your head" with my neon light

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2003, 08:01:15 pm »

Quote from: "ferocious j"
Are you people allergic to funny or something?


Agreed. I think he was just running with the story line. Nothing wrong with that.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2003, 10:41:46 pm »

Count me in on those who found this one funny.

With all due respect, the complaints upthread about the T-shirt slogans not being funny are missing the point -- the joke is how utterly pitiful the slogans are. Nobody would really but a "I am the one who sucks (plus I got depression)" shirt -- except Beef. Beef even sort of knows how pitiful the shirt is, yet he bought it (and may well have worn it) anyway. This is pure Beef: the fidgeting, the worry, the nervousness, the inability to justify what he knows in his heart (that he can and should wear a shirt that proclaims his sucking and depression) with Teodor's rational point about the shirts.

So what if he reused panels? It works anyway.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up