Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's comic (08-04-03)  (Read 12273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2003, 11:13:35 pm »

I think my beef (excuse the pun) with today's strip isn't that the t-shirts aren't funny in and of themselves, but that he already covered the same ground on Thursday.  And a few times before that.

But what the hell.  It's hard to be original and come up with new ideas all the time.  And as I found when I was looking for my top five favourite strips, Onstad's track record is pretty good.  I came up with 30 strips or so that I thought were truly funny and "fresh."  Maybe another dozen that were fresh but not as funny.

So the guy gets credit for originality.  

Just not today.

Really, I was just disappointed that he didn't tell us who put the hair in the nachos, esp. after that alt-text teaser on Friday.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 11:49:22 pm »

It's threads like this one that are the reason there is no Achewood message board on Dumbrella anymore.

btw, Jough, your parody kicks ass.

~Paul

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 05:12:19 am »

What Onstad needs to understand, especially in re: the last two strips is this simple fact that just struck me like a bolt of lightning.

His entire fanbase is composed of a bunch of Roast Beefs.

Go on, admit it, all of you!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 10:33:45 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"

His entire fanbase is composed of a bunch of Roast Beefs.

Go on, admit it, all of you!


I'd never deny it. Though I like to think what with my rockstar good looks and talents that I may be just a little cooler on about 2.3 levels. On the other hand, maybe my extreme geekiness rules it out...
Shucks, hand me the "plus, i got depression" t-shirt.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 02:11:49 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Perhaps "Today's Comic" isn't the best way to title a thread...

I mean, if this thread continues until tomorrow, and someone posts another "Today's Comic" thread - won't we have like, a gazillion "Today's Comic" threads on here?

At least put the date the strip ran, man.


yeah for a while today was a cuss on dumbrella. also apple and scott.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 02:57:29 pm »

You can't say %%%%% here, either.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 04:35:36 pm »

Quote from: "doomglobe"
yeah for a while today was a cuss on dumbrella. also apple and scott.

No big, but I think it was actually "%%%%%."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

weeeeee

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 05:18:48 pm »

the fact that %%%%% is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing. :) also, that comic wasn't one of the best, but the shirts were funny.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 05:27:38 pm »

Quote from: "weeeeee"
the fact that ***** is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing.


Looks very, very, confused!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 05:37:28 pm »

Is the word *****?

Apparently not.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Capn

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 30
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2003, 06:48:36 pm »

Oh, I can say %%%%%, you just can't hear it.  Also ***, ***** and ******** ********* *** **.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2003, 08:06:20 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "weeeeee"
the fact that ***** is a censored word on this board makes it feel that much more like the real thing.


Looks very, very, confused!


The word that's starred out is s-k-o-t-t a former Dumbrella user. I'm sure somebody else knows the whole story.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2003, 08:16:42 pm »

I know the story, but it's not funny so I won't recount it here.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2003, 09:19:19 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
I know the story, but it's not funny so I won't recount it here.


Fair enough, I wasn't really demanding any story or anything, just looking as confused as I was, erm, looking...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Today's comic (4 Aug)
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2003, 09:30:25 pm »

What is i turned round and said that was my name and I demanded people call me it?
Or some poor new bastard?
Ah it's OK I can answer that myself!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up