Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the Score?  (Read 2116 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What's the Score?
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:32:02 pm »

I'm a big fan of people who write musical scores for films. It's occurred to me that I don't know any of the ones that are currently working these days. Are there no more John Williams or Max Steiner's or Michel Legrand's?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:04 am »

I would mention Danny Elfman but it would just make me sad.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:02 am »

Although I guess sad in a way appropriate for this board, given the Chris Onstad context. There's another thread topic: artists who did something you loved and then went in directions you could not follow.
 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:11 am »

I think I have mentioned before that I think Thomas Harris was giving his readers a big ol' middle finger when he wrote Hannibal.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 04:02:57 am »

Although I guess sad in a way appropriate for this board, given the Chris Onstad context. There's another thread topic: artists who did something you loved and then went in directions you could not follow.

Hey, he's one I know. I'm not sure I understand. Is he no longer doing musical scores or are you lamenting the fact that he is doing that instead of making pop music?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:59:26 am »

Mark Knopfler did one of those too, but in his case I really adore his film scores. He was great fronting the Dire Straits and he was brilliant composing the score for The Princess Bride. I wish he'd do more.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:42 am »

I like Carter Burwell's score for Fargo. He's still composing, does just about all of the Coen bros. movies I think.

Jon Brion's main theme for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyGDHmo1ok

I also like Angelo Badalamenti's work for David Lynch.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:12 pm »

Oingo was far more fun than welding Tim Burton to his hip.

This. I mean, I like a lot of those movies, as much as I like movies, but there's no comparision.

It would have been more fun if they'd let him make his own movies. Apparently he tried - some of the material is on YouTube - but cheery ditties about dead cats weren't an easy sell I guess.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Score?
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:01:16 pm »

Despite Wombat's general indifference to movies, she actually owns a copy of The Forbidden Zone.

One of Wombat's favorite parts actually has no Elfman in it, but makes up for it by having tar pits.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up