Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Achewood Animated Series in the Works  (Read 22291 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »

Roast beef is pretty easy voice acting - it just needs to be monotone and low volume for the most part. They could cast anyone.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 04:26:00 pm »

Roast beef is pretty easy voice acting - it just needs to be monotone and low volume for the most part. They could cast anyone.

It's easy.  Anybody could do it.  All you have to do is talk like this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »

I don't feel like I have a good mental image of how any of the characters talk. And yet I am sure I will be the first to complain bitterly if I think the voices are wrong.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »

You all saw this, right?

http://youtu.be/b_97q16TFxk


I don't know how to video on this forum :(

Anyway I think that the voices aren't that bad and could grow on me. I think the timing is kind of flat, but maybe that's because I'm so used to all these setups from reading the comic a billion times that my standards are much higher.

Adult Swim would be so perfect for this. Spike or FOX would be awesome too. Back-to back Achewood and AXE COP???  :o Is so good.


I always imagined Ray and Beef to talk like this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-ryo1SnqE

So I actually think Ray's voice is rather close to that.  Could be toned down a bit though.
 I didn't expect Beef to sound the way he does, but it's also ok with me. It's also Onstad himself so that's just damn fine.

Apparently Ray's VA is Artie the Strongest Man in the World from Pete & Pete. OMG 90s!!!!

I still think the animation is too 'uncanny valley' (like what is up with Tina, girl looks all weird).

I was hoping for more hand drawn flash styles. Anybody ever see the Shmorky animation?

Anyway, I WILL watch the butts out of this show. If it actually becomes a thing. And they change the voices. And the animation. Lol jk brah
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:41:28 pm by CortesDiddy »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »

Cat is out of the bag. Some of us have seen it under pain of death for posting it publicly. Now you can all go crazy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 08:20:20 pm »

I hadn't seen that! It was great! Phillipe sounded just like a woman pretending to be a small child, which is exactly how I pictured his voice.

I like the intellectual edge to Ray's voice. It is just the kind of intelligence that can peel back with a few glasses of Macallan 1926 reserve, in the pilot seat of airwolf.

I dig the Roast Beef - it had a matter-of-factness that I wasn't expecting, but I guess was always there.

I'm stoked to see some todd.

I can't help but think all the characters look like Mii's. That could be a good or bad thing.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »

I hadn't seen that! It was great! Phillipe sounded just like a woman pretending to be a small child, which is exactly how I pictured his voice.

I like the intellectual edge to Ray's voice. It is just the kind of intelligence that can peel back with a few glasses of Macallan 1926 reserve, in the pilot seat of airwolf.

I dig the Roast Beef - it had a matter-of-factness that I wasn't expecting, but I guess was always there.

I'm stoked to see some todd.

I can't help but think all the characters look like Mii's. That could be a good or bad thing.

Fun Fact: Phillipe is voiced by the woman who voiced Ling-Ling on Drawn Together.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »

It's good stuff.  I agree Ray's voice doesn't fit with what I hoped for at all and I think it needs a lot of work, but otherwise it's quality stuff.  That little tiny snip of Pat's voice is perfect.  And by perfect, I mean it sounds exactly like my closeted ex!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 11:35:45 pm »

Phillipe should have the same voice actor as Catbug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHk6UADtDQ

That is so perfect. Too bad.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »

Okay, are we done talking about this?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2013, 06:56:29 pm »

I had a hard time hearing Onstad, especially in the Toilet Party sketch. I hope they fix that when it goes to production. I know that Beef's character always speaks more quietly and mumbly than the others, but either subtitle it or clear it up a little.

Hiring a white voice actor like Huss to affect an African-American brogue is probably not going to go over well. Ray's voice is just too inconsistent and all over the place even in the five minutes of test footage. If Onstad wants Ray to sound black, they should hire black actors. I do think that Huss dialed it back a few notches in the mood-whiskey sketch, and I thought that was pretty good. I also agree that the tiny slices of Tina and Pat's voices were awesome.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:02:42 pm by linnea »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2013, 07:17:48 pm »

I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice.  This just a sample to pitch the concept. I'd be more worried that once a real studio is involved, they'd choose totally awful voices, except that Onstad has history of pulling out when he doesn't have creative control.

Paul, why do you want us to be done talking about it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:31 pm »

No, I was dismayed that there was not more being said. I wish I had more to add myself, but I'm not nearly as critical as you guys in this matter. I do agree with whoever said that some of the jokes that killed in print kinda fell flat. I'm hoping that a better director can fix that. The jokes are solid.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed they didn't lead with Philippe is Standing on it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:30 pm »

Quote from: wombat
I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice.

It all depends, really, on the approach they were taking.

If they're doing it for the networks, yeah, they would probably want as many semi-"name" voice actors to be on as possible, to create mainstream visibility or at least visibility in a lot of difference niches at once which is... kind of the closest thing we have to niches these days.

If it's on something with a shoestring budget, though, like Adult Swimmy sometimes they like having creators voice things because then they don't have to pay them anything more than the minimum because they're already getting their slice as writers or producers and it gives them a certainty that said voice talent won't jump ship over a raise because, you know, they're otherwise attached.

Plus having the creator do a voice or two helps when you put them on a talk show or a comic con panel because... hey... the casual fan who doesn't care who the writers or producers are but knows the voices can be like "hey, that's the voice guy"! The horrible fuck*ng goddamned awful Seth MacFarlane shows are all about that shit and so is the sparkling amazing best fuck*ng show on television ever show The Venture Brothers.

They might believe that having the creator as a voice actor would lend a certain stamp of authenticity to bring along the cult audience.

So depending on the outlet and the outlet's marketers, some would consider the creator doing one of the main voices a moderate plus just as some would consider it a non-starter-level minus.

The fact that the other people on this sample are recognizable character actors/voice actors suggests to me that if Onstad wasn't at least hoping to voice Beef, they would've just gotten another semi-known voice actor for the role.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 09:15:38 pm »

You know what else I am curious about - do you think the voice actors were paid? Or would they do it for free in hopes of really getting cast as the characters if the thing happens?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up