Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: New Achewood Animated Series in the Works  (Read 22387 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:30 pm »

I'm sure LFM could tell us more about how these things work but I can't imagine it's likely that Onstad would actually end up doing the voice. 

I read something in the Wired article that he really wanted to find someone else to do the voice. Found it, "DiGregorio voices Philippe while Onstad takes on Roast Beef himself, though he hopes find someone else to voice the character in the future." Apparently Huss is already a done deal for Ray, Onstad likes him that much.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the voice talent industry, but Onstad used professional talent and I'm pretty sure they would have been paid for the pitch. He is working with a Emmy-level producer, Josh Lieb, so I would imagine that if he brought his A-game and hired good talent for the pilot or test footage, the studio execs would be more receptive to picking him up. I would imagine the voice actors would get a contract if the show gets picked up, and if the show blows up they would be able to negotiate really high salaries for themselves like the voice talent for the Simpsons did.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:42 pm »

Jesus, I go away for four to five years and this happens?

Do you people need more adult supervision or what?

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:14 am »

More thoughts:

I thought the whiskey sketch was the most poorly translated bit. It was just really flat and awkward, especially the "kiss my ass bitch I'll be at Duane's" part. I cried when I saw this. (not really)

Actually every sketch had kind of flat parts and kind of funny parts. Just inconsistent overall.

I will be fine with Toby Huss, but it seems like he has yet to find a groove with Ray.

This show would do way better with a faster pace. Think Family Guy. MacFarlane knows how to do timing, even if his jokes are played out.

And I really can't get used to the mocap 3d style either. Cheap and minimal flash would suit Achewood so much better. Onstad gotta get him some Koreans/different Russians/Canadians.



« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:46:37 am by CortesDiddy »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 12:56:39 am »

I disagree about a faster pace. I think the pace captures the pace of the strip.

Speaking of disagreeing, I just have to say again that Ray is wrong about scones.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 12:58:45 am »

Apparently Huss is already a done deal for Ray, Onstad likes him that much.

I kind of hope this is one case where he ends up having to give up a little creative control then... but I suppose I would get used to it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2013, 03:50:59 am »

Did anyone mention the Cotton hill connection here yet?

Cotton is kinda a hero of mine.

Huh.  Cotton Hill is also the Strongest Man in the World. 

Who knew?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

Yeah, Cotton Hill rocks!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 06:45:16 pm »

Hiring a white voice actor like Huss to affect an African-American brogue is probably not going to go over well.

Aside from my Scatman Crothers hang-up, I've always thought of Ray as a white guy who tries to sound black, so in that regard this would actually make sense.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »

No, I was dismayed that there was not more being said. I wish I had more to add myself, but I'm not nearly as critical as you guys in this matter. I do agree with whoever said that some of the jokes that killed in print kinda fell flat. I'm hoping that a better director can fix that. The jokes are solid.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed they didn't lead with Philippe is Standing on it.

I am surprised they didn't bust out Phillipe's Mouth at the earliest opportunity. Maybe they're honing it.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »

I am surprised they didn't bust out Phillipe's Mouth at the earliest opportunity. Maybe they're honing it.

That would require some kind of weird-ass file, wouldn't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

doomglobe

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 35
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 410
    • View Profile
    • doom globe
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 03:20:59 pm »

A file for sharpening a young alive stuffed otter's mouth: a weird-ass-file.
Logged
[expletive deleted]

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:25 pm »

Is this the real world?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 07:08:35 pm »

Is this the real world?
Is this just fantasy?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 08:31:51 pm »

No escape from reality.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I thought April Fools was in April?
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:03 pm »

Oddly enough, while I was running this afternoon I discovered that Bohemian Rhapsody is, like, the greatest song ever for interval training. I was walking, and then my training program told me to start running just as the "I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me" section began, and I just pounded the shit out of that trail while singing, "no no no no NO NO NO mamma mia let me go!"

It was pretty amazing, yeah. Almost made worthwhile the whole miserable punishment of making my fat lazy body move fast.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up