Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix  (Read 3789 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:53 am »

Also can I just complain about this: How come Netflix will suggest movies that it thinks I will like because of something as specific as "Independent movies featuring a strong female lead" and yet takes the evidence that I have watched a lot of Japanese movies (and nothing from any other country) and the best it can come up with is reccomendations for "Foreign Comedies."  Like all those foreign countries are the same. So not helpful.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:49:21 am »

What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:19 am »

What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.

Yeah because then they have a separate "watch it again" section. Dumb.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:06 am »

What aggravates me is that right now a lot of my suggestions are things that I have already watched and rated.

Yeah, what the fuck Netflix?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:19 pm »



It's not 1981 and I'm not 19 years old anymore.

I'm just saying that I've grown up and so has the technology and Netflix should know not to suggest things to me that I've already watched.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:11 pm »

In that same vein, iTunes suggests albums I already have all the time too.

I saw "Oz the Great and Powerful" in 3D on Tuesday, and it was lovely.  Even though I don't like James Franco.  Actually, I think not liking James Franco benifits this movie on some levels.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »

I'm just saying that I've grown up and so has the technology and Netflix should know not to suggest things to me that I've already watched.

I'm guessing they didn't have any good suggestions for you, and the marketing decision was to show you things you have positive associations with instead of things you have a good chance of actually hating. If they had an online library comparable to their DVD library, they wouldn't have this problem. There would be a long tail of pretty good suggestions for their algorithms to give you.

In this case, the algorithm says, "Hell, dude, I don't know what this guy wants. Can I just tell him he's seen it all?"

And the marketing guy says, "No, he'll unsubscribe. Just show him happy pictures."

"But he'll think I suck at this!"

"Shut up. Algorithms can't talk."

I'm pretty sure that's how it went.


"AT&T's Natural Voice algorithms can talk."
"I said SHUT UP."
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »

Amazon used to do that all the time with variations.

You gave Ghost in the Shell: Complete Season 1 4 stars. We recommend Ghost in the Shell: Season 1 Disc 1
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:14:16 am »

I'm guessing they didn't have any good suggestions for you, and the marketing decision was to show you things you have positive associations with instead of things you have a good chance of actually hating. If they had an online library comparable to their DVD library, they wouldn't have this problem. There would be a long tail of pretty good suggestions for their algorithms to give you.

I think that's pretty much it. I'm coming to realize that the Netflix Instant tail is not so very long and it is kinda aggravating. They have tons of off the wall shit I've never heard of, lots of really obscure horror b movies for example, and occasionally I'll go off on a jag. For instance recently I watched about 10-12 biker movies from the 60s-70s. Most of them were terrible, but lots of fun to watch.  But most of the good stuff is DVD only and it's pretty frustrating.

safety not guaranteed, starring mark duplass from the league and aubrey plaza from parks&rec. not the funniest, but cute and sweet, with a couple great laughs.

Netflix has been recommending this to me for months.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 02:11:02 am »

Netflix also concludes from my viewing history that I like "Exciting TV shows."  As opposed to all those people who like boring TV shows, I guess.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:26 pm »

Netflix also concludes from my viewing history that I like "Exciting TV shows."  As opposed to all those people who like boring TV shows, I guess.

Between all the West Wing and How It's Made, I'm surprised I'm not getting boring shows recommended.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 11:59:00 pm »

I my Netflix queue and my wife's ever merged, I think there would be an explosion rivalling matter/antimatter. Possibly the creation of a pocket universe.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

Netflix now has Game of Thrones second season available, though only on DVD so it's still a hassle, but at least I'll be watching it sometime this week.

You'd think that Netflix would have notified me that season two was available since I rented  the first season. I guess their algorithms aren't that good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »

What the fuck, Netflix? 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Bitching and Moaning about Netflix
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 06:35:54 am »

Netflix now has Game of Thrones second season available, though only on DVD so it's still a hassle, but at least I'll be watching it sometime this week.

You'd think that Netflix would have notified me that season two was available since I rented  the first season. I guess their algorithms aren't that good.

Game of Thrones is fuck*ng awesome. I just watched the first season over the last couple days.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up