Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Rule of 3s  (Read 5305 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
The Rule of 3s
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:14 am »

They say that celebrity deaths come in 3s, but in my reckoning we've had 5 celebrity deaths in the past week.

Carmine Infantino and Roger Ebert have been noted here already. Today I learned that Annette Funicello and Margaret Thatcher have died. Also, filmmaker Les Blank passed away yesterday. So that comes to only 5. Either the celebrity death meter has been broken or someone else is about to die.

Edit: Nevermind, this just in, famed record producer Andy Johns has died. So that's two sets of 3.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:36:31 am »

Does the rule of threes have anything to say about who counts as a "celebrity?" I have never heard of several of those people.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:53 am »

Does the rule of threes have anything to say about who counts as a "celebrity?" I have never heard of several of those people.

word to that.

also, from yo is this racist:


Can you still be racist once you're dead? If not, congrats to Margaret Thatcher for the recent improvements to her personality and morality.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:05 am »

Does the rule of threes have anything to say about who counts as a "celebrity?" I have never heard of several of those people.

One has no excuse for being ignorant in the age of Google.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:16 am »

but my point is: over a hundred thousand people die every day. Every one of those people was important to somebody. I'll bet more than 6 died this week who you could Google.
Who counts for the rule of three? Why is Carmine Infantino a "celebrity?" Was he regarded highly by the general culture at some point? Was he a household name?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:15:35 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:11 am »

His death was reported in the news. Isn't that basically what makes it count for this purpose?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »

"Rule of 3" explained: Link
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 04:19:42 am »

but my point is: over a hundred thousand people die every day. Every one of those people was important to somebody. I'll bet more than 6 died this week who you could Google.
Who counts for the rule of three? Why is Carmine Infantino a "celebrity?" Was he regarded highly by the general culture at some point? Was he a household name?

He produced a ton of art that had a major impact on my life and that of a large number of other people? The rule of 3 is just overzealous human pattern recognition at work but if you're saying his death isn't worth making note of because you haven't heard of him personally, you can go sit on it and spin for a while.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 04:32:37 am »

no, I'm asking what makes someone a "celebrity." A celebrity is someone widely recognized. Most people who make good stuff aren't "celebrities." Celebrity is not just another word for "person of importance."

I have at least heard of the stuff Infantino did, if not his name. I have never heard or heard of any of the songs that Funicello made. There are certainly many artists who I admire who the general public has never heard of. This means they are not celebrities.

why do I care about this. I think when I posted that I had been reading philosophy articles on wikipedia for 2 hours and felt like arguing about something nearly meaningless.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:51:16 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 04:55:01 am »

no, I'm asking what makes someone a "celebrity." A celebrity is someone widely recognized. Most people who make good stuff aren't "celebrities." Celebrity is not just another word for "person of importance."

I have at least heard of the stuff Infantino did, if not his name. I have never heard or heard of any of the songs that Funicello made. There are certainly many artists who I admire who the general public has never heard of. This means they are not celebrities.

why do I care about this. I think when I posted that I had been reading philosophy articles on wikipedia for 2 hours and felt like arguing.

Funicello was huge in the 60s. She is exactly the kind of person you're talking about being a celebrity, just before your time - she was a teen/pop idol who had a huge following among her target audience, and then her period of fame ended and people born after that time don't give a crap unless they're into retro pop culture. I couldn't name any of her songs or movies, but she's the kind of figure who was all over punch lines and pop references at the time, basically like Justin Bieber or whoever today.

I mean I agree that the rule of 3 is bullshit, but these are all noteworthy deaths for one reason or another, whether it's due to the person's "celebrity" or political significance or artistic significance.

This is actually my first mental association with Annette Funicello though.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:00:18 am by Ben-San »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:40 pm »

Annette Funicello is probably the most famous person on this list and best fits your definition of celebrity.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »

I think when I posted that I had been reading philosophy articles on wikipedia for 2 hours and felt like arguing about something nearly meaningless.

This certainly qualifies.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »

This certainly qualifies.

And how!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:49:46 pm »

A thread about what it means for someone to be a celebrity could be interesting, it's just that post came off kind of like "well I haven't heard of him, how important can he be?"

My "celebrity story" that I'm most pleased about is the time I had lunch with Hal Clement. He was the fifth person inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, he had a couple Hugo awards and there's an award for YA science fiction named after him. He's a legend in the field, and I would guess that at least 9 out of 10 people in the street have never heard of him - unless you're at a science fiction convention, where everyone will know who he was. Does that mean he wasn't a celebrity? Certainly he was within his field.

Also, Paul, I agree that Funicello was more of a "celebrity" but I question calling her the most famous on the list when Thatcher's there alongside.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Rule of 3s
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 03:15:04 pm »

Also, Paul, I agree that Funicello was more of a "celebrity" but I question calling her the most famous on the list when Thatcher's there alongside.

I considered that, but maybe Thatcher is more famous worldwide, but not so in America. In her day Funicello was a huge star.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up