Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magyar  (Read 1529 times)

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Magyar
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:07:37 pm »

The Magyar part of my heritage has always fascinated me. My personal history is really deep and wide in the soviet and post-soviet end, but everything before then get really blurry really fast (for me!). I have tried to find some explanation for why the language is so different from anything surrounding it and how it became a separate people to begin with. The similarities between vietnamese language and magyar language is too weird to be coincidence. My father and all of his end had asian xteristics and all had the stereotypical math and engineering bends. The Hun-Garian/Hun-Empire thing was mostly thrown aside from what I can find.

Any help?

::looks at inev::
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:22:21 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Magyar
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:31:03 am »

I always assumed it was because the Mongol hordes had left a strong genetic legacy in Eastern Europe.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:51:26 am »

The similarities between vietnamese language and magyar language is too weird to be coincidence.

I wouldn't be too sure of this.

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:20:52 am »

I wouldn't be too sure of this.

I've heard anecdotal evidence. What I heard was convincing at the time, but I haven't heard anything either way since then.

I always assumed it was because the Mongol hordes had left a strong genetic legacy in Eastern Europe.

Right. This is my current understanding: There exists a small community of eastern europeans hungover from the asian invasian.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:43:28 pm »

I've heard anecdotal evidence.

* the sound of generations of historical linguists weeping*

If you pick any two languages and look hard enough you can find a couple handfuls of words with similar meanings that sound similar and that sort of thing. But that is not the same as finding evidence that two languages are related, which requires much more systematic correspondences.

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:39:12 pm »

* the sound of generations of historical linguists weeping*

If you pick any two languages and look hard enough you can find a couple handfuls of words with similar meanings that sound similar and that sort of thing. But that is not the same as finding evidence that two languages are related, which requires much more systematic correspondences.

I don't disagree with you. Yet I'm still looking for a better explanation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up