Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Poll

239,000 miles from The Cure [rate this mixtape]

1 stars
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 5 (62.5%)
4 stars
- 3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 16, 2004, 03:49:48 am


Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good  (Read 2330 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« on: January 16, 2004, 03:49:48 am »

It's 239k miles from The Cure, but it's sitting on the sofa between Kick Ass and Groovy.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 05:17:05 am »

After two listens, I very much enjoy this. It's the sort of mix CD which is a lot better as an entire entity than in its component parts; not all the songs are fabulous, but the overall CD flows like wine. Excellent.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 03:27:17 pm »

I quite enjoyed it as well.  I already owned a number of the songs, but that just means we have similar tastes and I'm that much more likely to dig the other stuff.  

That Yo La Tengo song is great--what album is it from?

And did you also see the Primitives and Sugarcubes on tour together in 1990, or is it just a complete coincidence that you put tracks from the Primitives' first album and "Life's Too Good" back to back?  I saw them in Daytona Beach, of all places.


BTW, I've sent my CD out to a half-dozen people, I think.  I may burn one or two more.  If anyone is expecting one and it doesn't show up, or isn't expecting one but really wants one, PM me.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 05:42:10 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
After two listens, I very much enjoy this. It's the sort of mix CD which is a lot better as an entire entity than in its component parts; not all the songs are fabulous, but the overall CD flows like wine. Excellent.


Seconded.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 06:55:33 pm »

I must say I'm very disappointed in all of you.  Here you have a perfectly good opportunity to anonymously trash a total stranger on the internet (sjlz mix is teh suk), and what do you do.  You're polite.  What the hell is wrong with the world?

(Thank you all very much...this put a smile on my face, even though I'm still without coffee this morning)
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 08:13:19 pm »

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
I must say I'm very disappointed in all of you.  Here you have a perfectly good opportunity to anonymously trash a total stranger on the internet (sjlz mix is teh suk), and what do you do.  You're polite.  What the hell is wrong with the world?


sjlimmer's mixdisc is a stick of unrefrigerated monkey butter.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 08:55:14 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

That Yo La Tengo song is great--what album is it from?


I'm really glad to see that people love that Yo La Tengo song as much as I do.  However, it's become a bit of an embarrassment.  I went over this a while back (here), but basically I just got an mp3 of that song, and fell in love with it.  The album it's from (Summer Sun) seems to have received decent reviews (here and here for example), but I haven't picked it up yet. Sorry I can't be more help.

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"

And did you also see the Primitives and Sugarcubes on tour together in 1990, or is it just a complete coincidence that you put tracks from the Primitives' first album and "Life's Too Good" back to back?  I saw them in Daytona Beach, of all places.
.


It's just a coincidence.  I never saw the Primitives in concert, and the only time I saw The Sugarcubes was summer of '89, when I saw them on a triple bill with PiL and New Order.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 09:13:30 pm »

I thought it was a rad mix as well, as, Carlos, was yours, and veryvery charming packaging too!  Props for putting on some Spoon, who almost made it onto my CD as well.  

Sorry to derail.
Logged
goose means greedy

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 05:49:11 pm »

I saw that S'cubes/PIL/New Order tour too, at Merriwether Post Pavilion north of DC.  It was one of the weirder shows I've ever been to, as I had the impression that most of the teenage kids there were just there to be out of the house, not to watch the show.  Ten feet from us on the hillside, a group of kids made a small fire out of programs, popcorn boxes, and drink cups, and sat there tending it rather than watching the show (until security came over with a fire extinguisher).

New Order live... not that different from New Order in the studio.

Glad you liked the disc, A.  Spoon is one fine musical group.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
S J Limmer's mixdisc is hella good
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 11:57:52 pm »

I just wanted to say, I got this back on Monday, but since I got soooo much music (I ordered 5 cds and got them that day as well), I didn't have time to listen till the other day.  I very much enjoy the flow and yeah, that is the best YLT song on Summer Sun ..unfortunately that album didn't make my top twenty of 2003 though it almost did as last ...I like I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One better as a whole... don't have any of their other stuff.

The achewood ref. title makes me smile ..of course, if there's one Cure song on there, it doesn't seem far enough away ..heheh (I am a big Cure fan... own 14 of their albums), so this isn't an insult!  just amusing :)
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: [1]   Go Up