Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marinating a Steak  (Read 2004 times)

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Marinating a Steak
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:14:41 am »

Is this something that any of you fine people ever do? I never have and I like the steaks I cook for myself, but I am curious if I am missing out on some extra goodness that marination can provide.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Marinating a Steak
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:34:23 pm »

Only steaks I ever marinated were flank steaks.  This would probably work for skirt steak too, but we didn't get those.  I would generally do something like:

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup red wine
1Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp garlic powder

I would poke some fork holes in the flank steak, mix up the marinade and either pour it over the steak in a flat pan, or put the whole kibosh in a big ziploc and let it sit for a while.  Then under the broiler or onto the grill.

We haven't had a flank steak in a long time and it sounds pretty darn good.  I'll have to mention it to the shopper.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1306
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:16:46 pm »

I tend to put dry spice rubs on steaks rather than marinades, but I have done it. I have a good ale marinade recipe at home I'll try to post later.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Choop

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »

shit, ash stole my recipe (but i add some olive oil and garlic because flavor)

good cuts of meat at my house get a bit of salt & pepper. no meat is worse off for having a bit of salt & pepper.

i make a dry poultry rub for grilling chicken, turkey, duck, etc. i called it a poultry rub, didn't i? basically i combine salt, pepper, sage, oregano, thyme, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, ground chile (usually ancho), turmeric, and ground mustard, until i can't smell any single spice that overpowers another. the herbs in there are dried, of course. 24 hours in that rub in the fridge gives it good hold.

when i grill turkey, i butcher it first then rub it, for maximum spice exposure and to control the cook times. turkey breasts take a long time to cook; legs not so much time.
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

• The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Homosexuals the Gorilla
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1306
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:38:11 pm »

MAYOR! I know you've been messing with rubs for a while now and I want your suggestions...for a whole chicken and for a pork loin roast what would you suggest a dude start with that he could get by walking into a standard ass grocery store? I am at the curious to try point on this 'rubbing' thing.

My favorite is Rudy's Rub from a well-known Texaas barbecue chain. I use it on ribs and beer can chicken. Probably not available in your standard ass grocery store, but you can order it from them online.

Something that is in every standard ass grocery store that I really like is McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning. Yes I use it on steak, also pork chops, and fried potatoes (with green onions and cilantro, a concoction that's become known as "potatoes Dior" in my house).

If you're willing to build your own:
Adam Perry Lang's Four Seasons Blend is hell of basic, but perhaps as a result hell of good.
I like this chimichurri rub on all manner of grilled meats.
And the coffee-based rub on these here steaks is awesome.
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »

Thank you all very much. In this particular case I have a good piece of meat (what she said) so I am going to stick to a tried and true recipe. But for the future I will revisit this thread (if I can find it).
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 08:16:04 pm »

Discovered a few days ago that 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne in 6 tablespoons of rub is too much fire for my family to enjoy a steak.  That's 3.5% by volume people.  Kids wouldn't touch it, and my wife powered through because she was really hungry.  Bland and well-done is apparently the ticket to "good steak" in my household. 
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:53 pm »

I'm not a beef steak guy. I like game steak (elk, venison, lion, zebra, bear, and so on), but not steak steak. Recently my girlfriend started making balsamic marinated steak with seasoned goat cheese that I could eat for days. http://www.yummly.com/recipes/steak-with-goat-cheese-and-balsamic
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:46 am »

If she's willing to cook it up like that marry that one and plant a baby on her.

What?  That seems like the easiest thing.
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up