Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elmore Leonard Dies  (Read 4892 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Elmore Leonard Dies
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:48 pm »

Really too bummed to say much else. Not just because he is a literary hero to me, but also because he was still writing worthwhile stuff.

Here is something interesting he wrote though:

Elmore Leonard's ten rules of writing: http://www.freep.com/article/20101106/FEATURES05/130820014/Elmore-Leonard-s-ten-rules-of-writing
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:19:55 pm »

I hate to speak ill of the dead but seriously.

Quote
Writers of genius offer rules so silly they must surely be joking ("Never open a book with weather", "Never use a verb other than 'said' to carry dialogue" – Elmore Leonard).
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/30/this-column-change-your-life-rules

 
Quote
‏@jamiesont
My best writing tip is stop reading writing tips and finish the bloody thing you're writing.

Another good writing tip is not to spend time posting to messageboards about how you've got a bee in your bonnet about "writing tips" instead of writing, but it's the end of August and business is slow.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:32 pm »

Elmore Leonard's work has been adapted into a lot of pretty decent movies, but I found his writing to be simplistic, dull, and predictable.

Elmore Leonard's ten rules of writing: http://www.freep.com/article/20101106/FEATURES05/130820014/Elmore-Leonard-s-ten-rules-of-writing

Man, that was almost like a primer on how to be a simplistic, dull and predictable writer.

There's obviously something about his writing that a lot of people found appealing and when translated to motion picture could be highly entertaining.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:53 am »

I hate to speak ill of the dead but seriously.

It's probably pretty useless as a writing guide and should have been titled something like "ten things writers do that really irritate Elmore Leonard". And I find it kind of amusing read as that. Also, it's funny that pretty much every tip is "don't do this" followed by "unless you are a really good writer and know how to do this artfully."
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:55:57 am »

Top of the list "ten things writers do that really irritate wombat" is "write lists of writing tips." In case that wasn't obvious.

I think number two is that thing in a mystery where the reader is told that the character finds out something crucial but the reader is not told what it is. That's much worse than any of the things he complains about on that list.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:28:34 am »

You know what's the dumbest rule on that list? "Leave out the part that readers tend to skip." Because different readers skip different things. For instance, I skip fight scenes and chase scenes and all violence and most sex. As I vaguely recall his writing, he didn't leave out the things this reader skips.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:57:49 am »

That is a different issue though.  Like, does art have a target market?  As an "artist" I'd like to say no, but I am also pragmatic enough to know that if anyone at all likes what I do it is going to be people in one of a few groups.  I would imagine this dude was aware of what his market was and left out the things they would be most likely to skip.  People following writing tips probably have a market in mind?  In other words, they aren't doing what they have to do, they are doing something just to get it published or whatever? 

I kinda lost the plot there for a bit, but I guess I am putting down authors who follow any writing tips?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:47 am »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 03:24:15 am »

I skip the same parts as wombat I think.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:24 am »

The only thing I skip is bad writing and by skip I mean put the book down and not pick it up again. I guess that's not entirely true. I made it through the first Game of Thrones book. I haven't felt compelled to read the second one however.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 04:39:39 pm »

I think I skipped anything in italics in Lord of the Rings.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 05:24:25 pm »

I think I skipped anything in italics in Lord of the Rings.

I know I did.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 05:50:58 pm »

before diving in to LotR i picked up the Hobbit, and skipped everything in italics or otherwise verse-formatted. i still haven't bothered with the trilogy because i read the dang Hobbit and enjoyed it so very little.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:40 am »

Apparently Tolkien could have used some of those tips.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Elmore Leonard Dies
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:33:55 pm »

Miles gets a can.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up