Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Syria  (Read 3241 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Syria
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:03:55 am »

I come to you for education. My depth of knowledge of the Syrian situation includes seeing headlines, but not reading the articles. What I'm wanting to know, is Obama framing Syria for WMD or is this just right wing hossshit trying to paint Obama as another Bush heading the country to war on a false pretense?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:56:03 am »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/29/9-questions-about-syria-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/

I think it is tragic that we were burned so bad on the story of Iraq having WMD, that now no one wants to hear it again no matter how true it may be.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:09 am »

That link is really great, thanks.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:20:45 am »

Yeah, that article is awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:36:18 am »

That was a very good article, thank you for posting it. It did answer my initial question. It made no mention of any conspiracy on the part of the US or Obama administration as being behind the chemical attacks. It's as I originally thought, some ginned up bullshit. And the situation in general is exactly what I thought as well, that it's like every other Muslim country, full of crazy people that hate one another and can't get along.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Syria
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

Kinda like how the south is full of crazy racists.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:29:13 pm »

Kinda like how the south is full of crazy racists.

[rant deleted]

The situation in Syria bears very little resemblance to racism in the United States.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Syria
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:25:05 pm »

no, I'm talking about how outsiders like to look at a region and paint it with a broad brush.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »

Ah!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:23:10 am »

So how do y'all feel about this? Should we stay the hell out of there or dive in head first?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:03 am »

So how do y'all feel about this? Should we stay the hell out of there or dive in head first?

Stay the hell out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:00:18 am »

in theory, i'm against joining a civil war. but then, if france hadn't backed us 237 years ago we wouldn't be debating it.

a major difference though is that our leaders were deists and secular humanists attached to religious freedom, whereas those in syria trying to throw off the yoke of tyranny all seem to be of one theocratic identity or another.

considering that, and that syria's closest allies are iran and russia, and that the whole goddamned region defines "powderkeg," i'm against any kind of involvement that isn't in direct defense of a treaty holder.

i get that obama's angling the strike as singular, surgical, and specifically punitive, but it feels like a trap laid by a team of sociopaths intent on breaking the dominant international position the u.s. holds in economic and defensive relations, to tear down our state from the outside and replace it with their own or none whatsoever.

tribalism is our downfall, and it typically stems from corruption. both are always going to exist. i just wish there was a solution. i'm certainly not smart enough to discover it, and even once discovered, it's going to be impossible to implement.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Syria
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:58:36 am »

Horrible as things are in Syria and as much I'd like to imagine our country would have the ability to save a bunch of lives, it seems like every time we get involved in anything in the Middle East, we make things worse and kick more suffering down the road as we're doing it.

So I'd say no.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 04:05:57 am »

I'd like to think we could learn from our last 40 years of history.  There is no possible upside to this.  The actors around the chemical weapons issue are pretty murky.  Even if it was the Syrian State, if the nuts in the wings see that a chem weapons attack will bring us in to smash some Syrian State weaponry, the next one could well be a false flag op to take advantage of our knee jerk belligerence.  Surgical, limited, and quite useful whether or not the jihadis get to kill any American boots on the ground.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Syria
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:29 pm »

My grandfather, James William Wilson (1845-1923), was an accomplished hossman who enjoyed cantering about the woods and fields of the rural Virginia countryside. One day, he happened to be riding by the backyard of a small farmhouse, where he saw a neighbor savagely beating his wailing wife.

Vaulting from his hoss in a cloud of dust, Grandpa laid the villain low with one mighty blow. He turned too slowly to the object of his rescue, however, to duck the heavy stick of firewood she had aimed at his head.

When he slowly recovered his senses, there was no one in the yard but himself — the door to the farmhouse was closed and the window shutters drawn.

Groggily, Grandpa staggered to his feet, mounted his waiting hoss and rode away, a bruised and saddened but wiser man.

I do not recall the name of the battered wife. It sounded something like “Syria.”

Lt. Gen. Samuel Vaughan Wilson, U.S. Army, retired
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up