With regular dead lifts, I don't go back down with the bar with weights over 275 more or less for that reason. I just drop it. If I'm doing doubles or triples I just get right back on the bar so there's no rest. I don't particularly want to get the stretch reflex involved anyway. The few times I've gotten a back strain were on the way back down with tired core muscles.
I got some spectacular head rushes after last night's lifts: 1x365 (matched previous PR), 1x385, 1x395, 0x405. Literally lost vision for a moment after the 385 lift.
Last year I was having trouble getting more than 335 off the floor. I decided to "risk" doing deficit SLDL because it seemed like the best movement to build strength in that phase of the lift. Over the spring I worked from 135 on the floor to 185 from a 4.5" deficit in the 5x10 volume work of 5/3/1's BBB format. I'm certain that is what got me to break through. So close to 405; I think all the heavy singles on the way from 335 up got my system too fatigued. If I'd had a belt and lifting straps, I'm certain I could have done it though.