Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last bell rung for Ken Norton  (Read 2291 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Last bell rung for Ken Norton
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:15:42 am »

Old-time boxer, who has had a rough couple years with congestive heart failure and a stroke, and finally died from complications.  At first I thought the headline was about his son, Ken Norton, Jr, who played football for the Cowboys and the Niners (getting a Superbowl ring with each team).  I remember Norton Jr had a touchdown celebration of working the padding around the bottom of the goal post like it was a heavy bag - which was a tribute to his dad.  I caught a glimpse of him on Sunday on the Seattle Seahawk's sideline where he is an assistant coach now.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Last bell rung for Ken Norton
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

He beat Ali.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Last bell rung for Ken Norton
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »

Ken Norton was part of the Greatest Generation of American Heavyweight fighters.

Put him on the wall of tough guys and burn a stogie.

Yeah, this. His other son, Keith, was a sports anchor here in Louisville for a while. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up