Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: feel better food  (Read 6756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:41 pm »

Makes me a little ill just contemplating it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »

My mom served warm flat Sprite as a thing when I was sick.  I have no idea why.

I lived on ginger tea when dealing with unending morning sickness.  It was the only thing that made life manageable.

As for having a cold, I often find my sense of taste is so altered that eating isn't appealing.  Also, I don't like soup and someone here previously recommended Pho with when sick, so I tried that at one point and just about hurled, no doubt being unable to tase was part of the problem, and not liking soup was the other part of the problem, and the amount of mucus flow was likely also a big part of the problem.  Regardless,  I definitely don't like Pho, though I later discovered the same place serves some fine Banh Mi.  So yum.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »

My mom's sick drink was flat 7Up. I think it was often warm just because leaving it out made it go flat faster
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: feel better food
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »

I am a little under the weather, and tonight I am going to a special mystery Korean dinner. My favorite Korean place is going out of business and somehow it got set up that a bunch of my friends and I are going and getting a fancy multi-course meal of all the chef's favorite dishes. Awesome. Not sure if this is feel-better food or if I am in for a night of strange foods that hurt my stomach.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:24:01 am »

When I have a cold or similar I find a can's worth of cool (not cold) Dr. Pepper with half a lime squeezed in is fantastic.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 06:29:59 pm »

When I'm ill I crave a coke slurpee to bring down the feverish feels. Or I'll make a grilled cheese sammich (made in a toaster oven, not on the stove) with slices of pepperoni in the middle and some tomato soup. I chop up the toasted cheese sammich into cruton sized chunks and put it in the soup. This saves me the hassle of dunking and means one less plate to clean up. Efficiency, people.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

nephilim8

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 04:29:20 am »

What kind of cheese do you use, this is important. Generally for grilled cheeses I use those gross milk+chemicals "sandwich slices." I know it's an affront to food, but they melt so well in the 2-3 minutes they're on the skillet. For anything else I'd rather actual cheddar.

Anyway, pepperoni with sandwich slices sounds kinda gross, but with like some mozzarella-type could actually be decent.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:07 am »

The key to successful pepperoni inclusion is browning them in the skillet first.  In my experience.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 06:16:33 am »

The key to successful pepperoni inclusion is browning them in the skillet first.  In my experience.
The idea is to avoid the skillet stuff entirely. I'm sick, I want food, and I don't feel like working really hard for it or after it. I can throw this creation together in 5 minutes.
The cheese is chipotle gouda, mozzarella, provolone, or american (in that order of preference).
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 04:22:42 am »



Made me feel better,.

I sometimes roll a tuna mayo and cucumber futomaki when I'm feeling down. Bahn mi will also cheer me up, but making that is a pain in the ass.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: feel better food
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 02:43:00 pm »

Ginger tea. Actually I also drink it every night when the weather is cold, but cold weather is basically the same as being sick.

Do you add anything like honey and/or lemon?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: feel better food
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »

Nope just straight. Those are good if you have a sore throat though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up