Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gov't Shutdown  (Read 5880 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Gov't Shutdown
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:28:33 pm »

My right wing friends have been pretty quiet on this issue. I've been getting most of my news on this issue from the Facebook echo chamber, but it seems pretty clear to me that this one rest squarely on the shoulders of the House republicans.

What say ye?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »

That's about the size of it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:44:00 pm »

That is very much my opinion as well. The ACA was passed by both houses of Congress, signed by the President, reviewed by the Supreme Court, and survived a de facto referendum in the 2012 election. It passed, its' a frickin' law, let's roll with it. Yeah, it's not perfect--I'd prefer single payer, but that's a whole 'nother discussion--but to hold everything else hostage is just grossly irresponsible, and shows you don't give a shit about the Constitution or democracy, you just want to impose your will.

Trouble is, thanks to gerrymandering, the craziest Republicans who are responsible for this don't have much to worry about. They come from districts that are solid red and elected the person who said the meanest things about Obama. MAYBE more reasonable Republicans will step up in those districts and run in primaries, but for now we're stuck with this bullshit. They're doing what they think their constituents want them to do, and fuck the rest of us.

If you see the FB thread I posted today, one of my loony-bin high school friends has posted a bunch of nonsense. I have been reluctant to engage, but I'm not going to delete anything either. If you want to know what some folks are thinking, read that. Though I do kind of want to ask, "If Obama really considers himself a king, and this regime is so oppressive that you think armed insurrection may be necessary, how come Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh aren't dead or imprisoned?"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »

Now, it may pull a Principessa Jolanda but fuckit, let's find out.

I don't think that's gonna happen, but yeah, let's find out already.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:55:59 am »

the fact that the shutdown didn't affect the exchange rollout yesterday is the most absurd part of the shutdown. the only thing that negatively impacted the rollout was the incredibly, unexpectedly, unprepared for high demand. if that on its own doesn't speak to the need for the ACA then what the hell does
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:11:24 pm »

If anything, I think they should gerrymander districts so that they ALL are as competitive as possible.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

The like 2 crazy libertarians I know on FB just think this is the bee's knees. One said the continued rising of the sun and chirping of the birds is definitive proof that the shutdown should be the permanent state. Of course these guys also don't believe in snow plows or fire departments.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:28:52 pm »

I read this story, and I don't know how you would interpret it as anything other than "Christ, what an asshole":
http://gawker.com/gop-congressman-makes-park-ranger-apologize-for-shutdow-1440577868

And yet, on Facebook, there it was. "How dare the Park Service put barricades around the memorial! They should just leave it open! They're just doing this to try to make the Republicans look bad!"

If they did leave the memorial wide open, and it was vandalized because there was no NPS staff there, I'm sure that would somehow be Democrats' fault too.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »

Recently I told my mom that I just don't believe that our system works anymore, and she agreed. That was a pretty intense moment.

I just hate all of them. Right now my roommate, who is already always broke, is working without getting paid. How is that legal? Part of his contract is that he can't have a second job. Also, he already basically gets paid below minimum wage. He makes less than half of what I make, I forget how the math works out on that. 6$ an hour? Like 11k a year.
Paying air traffic controllers is essential but moms and kids on WIC aren't? The FDA isn't? Fuck every one of these people. I want them all to get thrown in a big, cold lake. Wet undies and squishy shoes for everyone. You are so bad at your job that kids are going hungry? People getting healthcare makes you so mad that you want our whole country to fall into the ocean?

Are they still holding fundraisers for their reelections during the shutdown? Now that I am thinking about that I am thinking the lake might be too mild.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 04:49:25 pm »

I try not to say that I want truly bad things to happen to people. But I want Punishment and Lessons and Consequences.

Ted Cruz gets to play maniac, and the DNC gets to play its favorite role, the reasonable liberal who doesn’t actually have the power to do anything.

...

If a government shutdown meant that planes would be grounded, it would never have happened. If a government shutdown meant the NSA would turn off the lights, not a single Republican would have signed on. If it meant that soldiers would stop killing, that police would stop putting people in jail, or that any of the many things that the government does to keep the economy running would come to a halt, it would be a cold day in hell before Ted Cruz would make himself the face of the shutdown. But the Office of Management and Budget helpfully requires every federal agency to have a plan for all the important stuff to continue, if ever there’s a shutdown. They must distinguish between essential services and inessential services, between the government functions that matter and those that don’t. That means that when the Republicans threaten to blow up the government if they don’t get everything they want, they know that the technocrats won’t let them hurt anyone who matters. The OMB won’t let them hurt the business community, or wreck the economy, or imperil America’s status as world’s warmonger. They know that poor people will suffer the most, and rich people will suffer the least. There are some things that transcend partisan divisiveness.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:13:48 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »

The Bloggess said how I feel best:

Quote
right now everyone is a little freaked out about the fact that our Government is basically the equivalent of your dad not coming home because he’s passed out at the bar. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:06:05 pm »

I wonder if the republican party realizes that it is on the wrong side of history. Gay marriage will be legalized, some form of government healthcare will be realized, the government will continue to operate parks, etc. Being the dick who wants to stop progress isn't a noble objective or an electable platform.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 07:13:02 pm »

I wonder if the republican party realizes that it is on the wrong side of history.

Probably not.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »

I think they are securely operating within the delusions of their platform and base constituency.  I think that constituency is shrinking however, and the remainders aren't the sort of person I'd want as a neighbor.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Gov't Shutdown
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:54 pm »

I think they are securely operating within the delusions of their platform and base constituency.  I think that constituency is shrinking however, and the remainders aren't the sort of person I'd want as a neighbor.

I know quite a few of those people and they make great neighbors. They have crazy ideas about governance, but they make great neighbors.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up