Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Have They Wrought?  (Read 4501 times)

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
What Have They Wrought?
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:56:25 pm »

I have an idea for a blog in the vein of sites like Regretsy or People of Wal-Mart or Animals Behaving Badly. I don't know if there's a name for this type of blog, that takes a specific subject and finds countless ways to mock and ridicule the subject. Shameblog perhaps? I don't know.

I would call my blog What Have they Wrought and it's about brilliant people who have done something that have had such an impact on popular culture that they spurned imitators that ruined the concept they were imitating.

Here are some notable examples.

John Madden: He created a big dumb jock persona as a football announcer. His success spurred so many imitators that for the next decade or so it seemed like every football announcing crew had a big dumb jock character. What those other big dumb jock imitators overlooked though is the fact that John Madden is actually one of the most brilliant minds in NFL history. So he backs up his big dumb banter with science. Unlike his imitators who were just big and dumb.

Madden is mostly notable in this list because he maybe seemed to realize that he was becoming a parody of himself and dropped the dummy act for the most part the last few years of his broadcasting career.

Hunter S. Thompson: Brilliant political writer who invented the concept of writing from a first person perspective inserting himself into the story. This type of selgiraffe reporting is now a scourge on journalism. His countless imitators have done irreparable damage to journalism.

Okay, obviously I would need to do research to properly make my points, but I'm way too busy right now to get into that. I'm too busy to even give an explanation of my 3rd example Queen - A Crazy Little Thing Called Love for creating the Rockabilly subculture that exist today.

I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What Have They Wrought?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »

Are there enough examples for a continuing blog? If not it would make a great Cracked article, if they haven't already done it. You know that anyone can write for them - or at least, can pitch them an article. But you have to get up pretty early in the morning to come up with something like this that they haven't already done.
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:55:00 pm »

Your post just made me want to invent time travel so I could go back and junk punch Madden into not spawning Tony Siragusa.

Exactly!

Are there enough examples for a continuing blog? If not it would make a great Cracked article, if they haven't already done it. You know that anyone can write for them - or at least, can pitch them an article. But you have to get up pretty early in the morning to come up with something like this that they haven't already done.

Hmm, I don't know, maybe. I actually thought about Cracked, but didn't know that they took blind submissions. Do you know what they would pay for an article such as this?

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 09:44:57 pm »

What they do at Cracked is that you sign up for their writer's workshop forum and you pitch the article, basically with an outline and one of the examples written up. People give you feedback and once the mods think the pitch is acceptable, they pass it on to the editors. It's not easy to get accepted, the standards are high and it's hard to find stuff they've never done, but the process is completely transparent. If you sign up I think it says somewhere what they pay, but maybe fifty bucks?
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:28:47 am »

I'd just like to weigh in that I think it's a brilliant concept and I look forward to your unique take on things
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:42 am »

This is a good concept, but I don't know about your queen hypothesis.
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Victoria Waterfield

• Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 329
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 01:13:50 am »

But you have to get up pretty early in the morning to come up with something like this that they haven't already done.

"12 Amazing Ideas for Articles You Won't Believe Cracked Hasn't Done Yet"

Calling it now.

dejavroom

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:57 am »

Grunge ----> Nu metal

Radiohead -----> Coldplay, Travis

Feminism ------> Misandry
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

KeithHernandez

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:26:19 pm »

Grunge ----> Nu metal

Radiohead -----> Coldplay, Travis

Feminism ------> Misandry

Man, you and Paul are both 2 for 3.  I'm all, word, word, uh, nah, fuck that.  I guess that could be good if making a website.

Simple mp3 players/ebook readers ---> Smartphones, tablets, things that connect to the internet constantly that are in my pocket that I am a slave to.
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:39:42 pm »

Do you know what they would pay for an article such as this?

$50 an article (at least it was when they rejected an article I wrote).
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:03 am »

I'm catching a lot of shit on Facebook for comparing Shirley Temple to Honey Boo Boo. What I meant of course is that Shirley Temple was the original child star. It's generally accepted that she was a brilliant little actress and and an inspiration to millions. As an adult she proved to be a stellar human being as well. But her outrageous and unprecedented success in the nascent early days of Hollywood sent a signal out to the greedy mothers of the world with dollar signs in their eyes who would jump at the chance to exploit their precocious children. And of course there are the Hollywood producers who are more than willing to take advantage of them. No matter how you slice it, this long road of greed and exploitation leads directly from Shirley Temple to Honey Boo Boo.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:46 pm »

I agree with your premise, also noting it leads to Brook Shields and Jodi Foster.  I think there is a weird "classist" dynamic about the revulsion of Honey Boo Boo being compared to Shirley Temple, ironic given most of Shirley's early roles were that of a destitute orphan or an unloved/overlooked child.

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:33 pm »

I agree with your premise, also noting it leads to Brook Shields and Jodi Foster.  I think there is a weird "classist" dynamic about the revulsion of Honey Boo Boo being compared to Shirley Temple, ironic given most of Shirley's early roles were that of a destitute orphan or an unloved/overlooked child.

I underestimated how much Shirley Temple means to people who grew up during the depression (i.e. my parents) and her playing a destitute child only made her resonate more with them. I don't think that saying she lead to Brook Shields or Jodi Foster would help much in their eyes. Maybe I should have said it lead to Macaulay Culkin. My mother loves the Home Alone movies.

I guess that road also lead to Christina Ricci so God Bless Shirley Temple.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 09:11:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure Culkin's star skidded into the dumpster of failed child stars once puberty turned cute into goofy.  Shields and Foster parlayed early success into lasting careers and considerable philanthropy. Not to say the book is closed on Macaulay, or any of the other crop of "too rich, too famous, too soon" kids that the Disney machine wrings profit from for 4-12 years.  I don't really know what to do about that whole thing.  Entertainment certainly can focus on stories about young people and children, and its only fair that the actors who portray the characters should be paid fairly in cash; it just seems that somehow we should do a better job of raising them.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:21:07 pm by jaydub »

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:55:48 pm »

Oh, I'm not saying her assessment is fair, I just know that she likes the Home Alone movies. She probably doesn't like Shields because she's shown too much skin in her movies and she probably doesn't like Jodi Foster because she's a lesbian.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up