Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we have a "Random" thread?  (Read 90412 times)

0 Members and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #270 on: October 09, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »

Mushroom mushroom
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #271 on: October 09, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »

It was a snaaaaaaaake...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:14 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2015, 07:36:21 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »

That's disconcerting.  I guess it's good I live where I do, otherwise I couldn't afford to be there.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #275 on: November 18, 2015, 07:23:06 am »

Truly great phrase I learned just now: one stage in the growth of a mushroom involves being wrapped in "the Universal Veil."

damn, now I need to get a lot better at guitar so I can start a metal band with this name.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #276 on: November 20, 2015, 06:52:51 pm »

I had spent a couple minutes wondering how someone who had such good fortune could blow it like he did - then I realized he was probably a pedo creeper even before he got famous.  It must have been a thrill for him to be able to finally afford to make his nightmarish fantasies reality.  Pity it took us so long to twig to him.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #277 on: November 20, 2015, 07:22:44 pm »

Did I ever tell you guys about my nightmare where I realized I was a pedo? I think in the end I decided to kill myself.

Rough stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2015, 03:55:54 am »

I lost 21.5 lbs and won $146.28 for doing it.  Woot!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2015, 04:58:38 pm »

I just told a co-worker that "[MegaLo Corp] doesn't love you and you're foolish to give them any part of your life they don't pay for" and she looked at me like I kicked her dog and stamped through her flower beds.

Truth. The company is not your friend, especially if it's a publicly-held company, and they will fuck you over in a heartbeat if it helps their bottom line.

Rumor at our company is that they're considering doing away with separate vacation/floating/sick time. They're going to dump it all in one bucket called "paid time off." They claim that we're the only company in our sector who has not already gone to this model. And I'm sure it will be spun as giving employees "greater flexibility."

What they won't mention is that if they do this, they will no longer be obligated to pay out your vacation balance if/when you leave, like they do now. Any time off you have saved up at the end there just vanishes.

I am fond of saying "All our competitors do it" is not a reason to do something. It's the reason you think you can do it and get away with it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2015, 10:16:06 pm »

I am being driven insane by people using the word "gift" as a verb.

What should I gift my family for Christmas?

I was gifted this homemade hat by my mom.


My beliefs are in conflict with the fact that this usage makes me want to rudely correct people.

Evidence that I am not imagining things, and this is very recent.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:49 pm »

It annoys me too but you and I both know that A, English does this all the time, and B, correcting people won't stop language change, it will just make people consider you a dick.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #282 on: December 01, 2015, 06:15:51 am »

Today 4 friends of mine share a birthday. none of them know each other. I do not believe in horoscopes or whatever that stuff is, but I would definitely describe all four of them as deeply kind, but socially off-putting. None of them are jerks, just socially clueless in a way that some people misinterpret. The kind of friend who says one really nice thing to you, once, and it sticks with you because it means more coming from a guy like that.

This is a coincidence, but it is a coincidence that made me think about similarities between some disparate guys from different life eras. Cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robocop

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 38
  • It's Spaghetti Time!
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #283 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:40 am »

I finished the last drop of whiskey this evening. I looked at the empty bottle and decided that it would be my last. I've sipped on a double of whiskey (several wee drams) nearly every evening for a decade. It's an odd habit. It costs money, and it has weakened my appreciation for the fine fine liquid. No buzz or drift or any such thing, just a slight warmth while I write. I've only skipped it for the occasional travel day or bottle of Pliny the Elder. It became about having it in my hand, about having always had it in my hand. There is a strong history of addiction in my family, and I've grown weirdly concerned about my daily sip suddenly growing into something else. And so I leave this habit behind like so many others. It's just a shame that Kentucky Ryes are just now making their comeback.

Instead, I will enjoy a fine whiskey on the rare. I will appreciate it more, methinks. Now to keep some fine fine fresh brewed iced tea around for that tumbler-in-hand fixation.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Do we have a "Random" thread?
« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2015, 05:27:00 am »

This girl I couldn't stand on my freshman floor in college now works for Comcast Customer Service. Poetry.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Up