Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: His Life was Saved by Rock n' Roll  (Read 2171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
His Life was Saved by Rock n' Roll
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »

Lou Reed is Dead

Alternate thread title: 'A Perfect Day' to Die!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: His Life was Saved by Rock n' Roll
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:22 am »

Man, that guy. So many songs I love. So many guitar sounds. So many cool lyrics.

I cannot overstate the importance of discovering the VU and punk to my psyche as an adolescent. I needed desperately to know that out there in the world, there was another way of being cool that had nothing to do with pastel polo shirts and fuck*ng field hockey players in your dad's BMW. I could know I was cool in my own way, and what those people thought about me meant nothing. Except, also, I wasn't cool in the punk/indie/whatever way either. That came later. What rapping about drug deals and drive-bys has been for my mid 20s, songs about transvestites and shooting heroin were for my teens. It isn't about identifying with the content-- it's about an attitude, the struggle of being a person, whatever. I am mostly a guy who is doing alright in life, most of the time, but I will always identify with the fuck-ups and losers because I will always feel like one, kind of, for some reason.

Thanks Lou Reed. My understanding of you as a person is probably 90% based on myths. I think I'm happy keeping it that way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up