Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's been going on lately  (Read 2701 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nephilim8

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
What's been going on lately
« on: October 29, 2013, 03:48:07 pm »

courtesy of The Verge.

it seems like a wasted effort to be pitching this sort of show to a general TV audience, when it's clearly above them. seems like Onstad would have better luck pitching it to Netflix or Hulu. Or he could even self-publish.

also, I posit the idea of a childhood drum is far older than Achewood.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:24:57 pm »

While I agree that the characters developed their distinctive voices fairly early in the series, I disagree that it has been since the beginning. Teodor has remained pretty constant but that's because he is Onstad in a stuffed bear suit. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »

I'm not shocked at all that the animated project hasn't been picked up by a network. He doesn't appear to even know what format he is shooting for, and that "sizzle reel" isn't confidence inspiring as a fully baked concept. I'm glad he is still pursuing it, though.
I didn't know it takes him a full day's work to produce a strip. I guess I (ignorantly) imagined the drawings were somehow easily manipulated in a graphics program? And the rest of it was just writing a few lines of script for the bubbles? That information makes his burn out more understandable.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:03:09 pm »

i'm sure he has the characters assembled, but choosing which sprite-part from the ray folder for that specific line of dialog might be difficult, moreso even the selection and organization of the words themselves. contrast to ryan north, who never has to draw anything, just write the text; and jeff rowland, who draws everything by hand and also writes the strip. of course with rowland, he's been drawing by hand forever, so that's probably the least of his concerns, but his most recent update was a couple months ago, and even when he was publishing regularly, his updates were rarely daily. ryan north updates daily almost always, because he doesn't have the art to worry about unless special occasions demand, but even so i doubt that he just whips up the dialog between his two or three characters and slaps it on the internet without at least one or two edits and rewrites.

i agree about the cartoon. i've been hearing craig robinson's voice in ray's mouth forever, and i never thought beef's voice was so low and rich. his best bet is to learn how to animate and then produce and distribute it himself over the internet. put an episode up on a free stream until the next one's available, then sell it on itunes for a buck. something like that. he'll maintain control over content and have free rein to experiment - if he wants to release a five minute cartilage head sonata music video, he won't have to pad it out with an extra seventeen minutes of unnecessary story to turn it into a full episode.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:56 pm »

craig robinson!  you m-f-er!  rad idea.  you get a can.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:10:20 am »

^^^

Damn, look at those chooper-dooper ideas!

I agree that those are some chooper dooper ideas.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jsv

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:14:32 pm »

Um, so maybe we could kickstarter him into self-publishing? And one of the award tiers can be the cookbook. That's exactly how kickstarter works, right?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's been going on lately
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:40:46 pm »

I didn't know it takes him a full day's work to produce a strip. I guess I (ignorantly) imagined the drawings were somehow easily manipulated in a graphics program? And the rest of it was just writing a few lines of script for the bubbles?

**weeps**
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up