Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Would Star Trek have had the same gravitas if Spock had been named Vince?

Poll

Inev Should Go to Grad School?

Fuck that Noise!
Hell to the No!
Don't be Silly!
Fuck that Noise!
Maybe?
Go to Chile!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inev Goes to Grad School  (Read 5488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »

I loved the HELL out of grad school, and I still get a little woozy whenever I see how much I still owe on my student loans and think about the prospects for ever getting a job in my field of study.
Is this because you weren't able to take on a TA or similar job along the way? Most of the guys I know who went on to grad school (other than law school) had significantly less debt from grad school than undergrad because they spent their time working for the university.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:54 pm »

Is this because you weren't able to take on a TA or similar job along the way? Most of the guys I know who went on to grad school (other than law school) had significantly less debt from grad school than undergrad because they spent their time working for the university.

Yes, I was a full-time parent the whole time I was in school. Plus, because of circumstances, we also borrowed living expenses on top of my tuition for three semesters. I wasn't really planning on getting knocked up twice in less time than it took me to finish a MA, and it sort of forced our hand financially. But we survived, I guess?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »

I was lucky enough to have a job with tuition assistance. So they paid for grad school (which I did part-time). What's more, at the time they did not have any requirements that you stay on the job for a certain amount of time after receiving tuition assistance. I literally had my last day of work there on a Friday, got my diploma that night, and started a new job the following week. "Thank  you for your training money--good-bye."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 12:24:30 am »

One application down, 5 to go. These things suck.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 09:32:58 pm »

Did you apply here?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »

I don't speak much Spanish but "NO ACREDITADO" sounds ominous. I guess it would be kind of mirroring my grandpa moving to the US for grad school. He and my grandma came with 2 kids and 2 suitcases. He wanted to move here because the education system in Chile was so bad. Which was 50 years ago, but now it is supposed to be still pretty messed up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up