Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LFM and the Yeti  (Read 6421 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:46 pm »

So, yeah, the first draft is 53,300 words... a bit scant for a novel... and the title right now is "A Yeti in The Thirty Mile Zone".

Wombles, just tell me when you have some time, I'd love your feedback.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:03:27 pm »

I can probably do it this weekend, or possibly some time sooner when it sounds better than doing my own work, so go ahead and email it any time.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »

So, yeah, the first draft is 53,300 words... a bit scant for a novel... and the title right now is "A Yeti in The Thirty Mile Zone".

About the title, is the thirty mile zone a common expression outside of show business circles (I had to Google it)? I was interested in this book idea mainly because it's about an URBAN bigfoot. I'm not sure you want to play inside baseball with the title if you don't want it to be lumped in with all the other books on the subject. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04:50 pm »

"sasquatch & vine"
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »

But now I know what TMZ means?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »

Yeah, I really like that phrase and I don't know why.

Lately I am on the LA train in a major way. California knows how to party.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:28 pm »

yeah that was fun to read about, but mostly because now I can imagine Ash is not actually setting up a new home on his ranch. He's building a studio ranch.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:44:37 pm »

It's not inside baseball because it's explained in the first chapter and...

Uhm, okay.

Part of why the sasquatch is able to pass is because there's a double meaning to it.

Yes, it is in reality the Thirty Mile Zone, the area in which you don't have to pay union workers a per diem because it's assumed they live a reasonable commute from set.

But in the reality of the story, there is also the Curse Of The Thirty Mile Zone that actually inspired it.

Upon realizing the Spanish would not be repelled and the land was lost, a First Nations holy man cast a curse upon a thirty-mile radius in Southern California that causes people to see what they want to see if they are in that zone and not strong against magic, dooming them and damning them to chase imaginary dreams while there.

The Curse of The Thirty Mile Zone serves a triple-purpose for me fictively, one as the way to explain why people would keep accepting a bigfoot as a "guy in a bigfoot suit" for that long... two, as a reference to the celebrity gossip culture in which the story is marinated and... three, as a metaphor for Hollywood and the people thereupon curses to see what they want to see not how things actually are.

So... I mean, if a publisher wanted to change it and they want to give me piles of money, they can change it.

For now, I am happy underlining one of the central metaphors of the piece.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:01 am »

It's not inside baseball because it's explained in the first chapter and...

The title needs to help entice people to read the first chapter, though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:29:05 am »

If I saw that title I would say "whoa, what is that" and read the back flap where it said "The thirty mile zone: the thirty miles of Hollywood centering on blahblahfamous Blvd. The home of the sasquatch living among us" and then I would buy the book.

Thirty Mile Zone sounds like some kind of cool sci-fi thing. That is a great sci-fi ish book title.

I'm no professional, though. Don't take advice from the guy who is 5 words into his personal statement essay for grad school.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:08:55 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:42 am »

My back-up titles are generally along the lines of "Hollywood Sasquatch" "A Yeti in Los Angeles" etc that give off more of a "quirky lit-fic" vibe than a sci-fi vibe.

As Dan says, I am enamored as hell with how sci-fi "The Thirty Mile Zone" sounds as a turn of phrase.

I grew up reading weird literary-fiction/sci-fi hybrids with heady titles like "The Stars My Destination" "Sirens of Titan" "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and so forth, I do like that kind of sweeping-weirdness hook. I think "The Once And Future King" is basically the greatest title ever written. I love the hook of "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", sort of the original literary-fiction in the guise of sci-fi hybrid title, I suppose I was going for that a bit.

I would be happy to change the title upon publication if suggested by a publisher or editor, I'm no unrealistic diva, I worked in film, I know that things are as much a craft as they are an art, I know that media is half-business and half-expression, I will happily be able to cope.

If someone told me "Mike, we think just naming it after a Warren Zevon song makes it most marketable" I would be like "whatever title that's true to some element of the story is fine by me if you think it will get it out to the largest audience and the money you're paying me is green".

The e-novella I put out, for example, had the working title "Fanfare For The Common Man".

My publisher said "That doesn't sound sci-fi at all" so we spitballed things until "The Undone Man" came out and sounded like a title Phil Dick or Harlan Ellison would use so we went with it.

I'm not married to titles. "A Sasquatch in The TMZ" would probably be smashing but then that teevee show would sue us probably.

He tells me the story of his life in L.A. in the Dennys on Sunset and Gower, behind that tacky Denny's green-roof facade, if they think "Desperados Under The Eaves" would sell without sounding too much like a Western (even though it is exactly a Western in a literal sense, it is a meditation on the soul of Southern California) then sure, I would go with that.

This is my spazzy rambly way of saying "Don't worry, wombles, I know that it is just the working title that makes my heart sing, I am not ideological about it".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »

nothing sounds like or unlike a sci-fi title.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »

I'm warming up to the title.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »

How do you imagine this playing out? Wombat is the voice of experience here.
More than too many of my friends wrote books while they were bored or pregnant. They're pushing it the same way you are and at best are making a hundred bucks.
IMHO you're book isn't too short. The worst of my friends' books was a sci fi novel about a computer that gained intelligence and it felt longer than atlas shrugged because it spent forever explaining things.
Don't spend forever explaining things. 
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:54:08 pm »

Yeah, well, Wombat is also to some extent the voice of a previous generation, so take her with a grain of salt. But your friends' experience sounds like exactly the problem with the fact that it's so easy to self-publish. Although the system seems to be getting more dysfunctional by the minute, the advantage to the writer of having gatekeepers like agents and editors is that stuff like "spend forever explaining things" is beaten out of a book before the world sees it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up