Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LFM and the Yeti  (Read 6414 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »

I'm gonna "publish" my Lovecraft pastiche on Facebook on weekly installments. By now I'm completely out of the idea of ever getting anything published, so at least I might watch some ripples in the (almost non-existent) Brazilian Lovecraft fan community.

I was also considering... translating it to English, maybe test the international waters? Only that, just thinking about the amount of work makes my eyes water already...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 08:02:04 pm »

If people that I trust say they think it is worth trying to get traditionally published, I will try that. I know a few people who've managed to find traditional publishing opportunities and maybe they can help me, I dunno.

I would very goddamned much love to have someone pay me a little money and have it put out on actual goddamned paper without ME paying for it.

If trusted people like wombat and some other friends from other spheres in my life tell me it is unsalable, I'll probably throw it up on Amazon and make a couple hundred bucks, yes.

But I don't know. I believe in the idea and I have friends whose opinions I trust.

I am keeping my options open, that's the end game.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:11 pm »

Here's the mistake I think a lot of people make. There are different reasons things are unsaleable. Some of those are stupid reasons, like that agents and editors are sheep who follow fashions and it's a book that doesn't fit the current fashion. And some of those are good reasons, like it's a good idea but it needs to go through five more drafts before it's executed in a way that other people are going to want to read.

When you've written something that is unsaleable for the former reason, self-publishing makes sense to me. But most of the self-published books I have read seem to fall into the second category.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:09:54 pm »

I just want to double check, the Yeti is not Axl Rose, right?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 02:34:16 am »

No sir. The Yeti is the last surviving sasqautch who has moved to L.A. to be less lonely, at least being able to talk to something even if it's just humans, hiding in plain sight in the guise as a busker who dresses as The Bigfoot on Hollywood Boulevard and sells pictures of himself with tourists to them. Which is a real thing in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater, there are people who dress as celebrities and movie characters and do just that.

Except he is exactly what he says he is and almost no one believes him. Because in Hollywood, it's just assumed you're pretending.

I think I do namecheck Axl Rose once or twice as a quintessentially Los Angeles kind of weirdo somewhere in the manuscript but no.

Only very peripherally.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 03:14:26 am »

and his halloween costume is chewbacca (that's my favorite part)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:01 am »

The Yeti is the last surviving sasqautch who has moved to L.A. to be less lonely, at least being able to talk to something even if it's just humans, hiding in plain sight in the guise as a busker who dresses as The Bigfoot on Hollywood Boulevard and sells pictures of himself with tourists to them. Which is a real thing in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater, there are people who dress as celebrities and movie characters and do just that.

I saw a show about that.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

I actually mention the real historical incident where Superman breaks up a mugging.

And, yes, absolutely, Frank Yetti dresses as Chewbacca for Halloween and science-fiction premieres.

He does a pretty good Chewbacca growl but not as spot-on as you'd assume from a bigfoot.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »

Split so I don't have to waste any more time trying to figure out what the hell thread we were talking about this in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »

Nice! Sorry to have taken over so much of that thread...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 09:06:46 am »

I like the title.

To join in though, If I was trying to sell it to a publisher type I bet I'd want to pitch it as an American Gods style Gaiman-esque piece of magic realism that the kids today like so much. Which would probably require a vaguer or at least shorter title. Maybe just 'The Thirty Mile Zone' though I'm sure that's been used before.

Edit: Oooh this whole thing where Mets is just telling us about his stuff and asking one person specifically for advice and we all piled on reminded me of this.

Edit edit: Of course the best title is 'LFM and the Yeti'
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:14:04 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:47 pm »

Oh yeah, everyone tells me "American Gods" should be a part of the pitch were I to pitch it to an agent.

"Cat's Cradle" meets "Magnolia" is kinda my short-hand. I... don't know if that would actually sell anyone, though.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 01:28:35 am »

Edit: Oooh this whole thing where Mets is just telling us about his stuff and asking one person specifically for advice and we all piled on reminded me of this.
We're all invested in this thing waiting for a pay off that never seems to come. Who does he think he is asking just one of us for a comment?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 04:05:04 pm »

It's like sex, A-CAP. You can't start throwing it around at everyone until you're sure you're great at it.

Until then, you stick to just those you know will be firm but gentle.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: LFM and the Yeti
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 06:44:31 pm »

I've been doing sex for over 30 years and I still ain't worth a shit at it, but I ain't gonna let that hold me back.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up